I'm very worried about the future of Retro Gamer Magazine :(

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:18 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Uh, so that's taking what I said somewhat out of context, to say the least. To clarify, I don't think Retro Gamer's under any imminent threat of closure. My point was merely that the magazine market tends to get thumped during a severe recession, and so if the upcoming inevitable recession turns out to be very harsh indeed, Retro Gamer might find survival difficult.

That said, Retro Gamer has far more original editorial than most magazines, and so I'd hope readers would still consider it money well spent, even under tougher economic conditions.
Would have to agree, more likely basic gaming mags running the same review as all the rest, PLUS can be found all over the interweb would be more likely to suffer, editorial type mags would haopefully last a bit longer.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Thumped, recession, inevitable and survival, reminds me of that episode from Dr Who where the Doctor wrecks the Prime Minister's career with just four words!

We're doomed!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:16 am

I'd still buy RG if I only earnt £10 a month :P

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I only subscribe to 3 mags....Retro Gamer, Nintendo Official Mag (that's the Ninty zealot in me right there. :oops: :oops: ) and Viz. And I'd make sure that I got hold of those even if I had to beg, borrow or steal.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 am

The other day I indiscriminately browsed through a camcorder mag in WHSmith (it featured a review of something I'd read about on the net). The mag was £4.95, extremely slender, and the quality and depth of the review was absolutely atrocious. If a magazine like that can happily exist in 'economical' times then RG's got absolutely nothing to worry about.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 am

I generally find in situations like this that it's the mainstream magazines and weekly publications people stop buying first, not the niche magazines.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I only subscribe to 3 mags....Retro Gamer, Nintendo Official Mag (that's the Ninty zealot in me right there. :oops: :oops: ) and Viz. And I'd make sure that I got hold of those even if I had to beg, borrow or steal.
Same here, been made redundant twice in the last 4 years, kept buying RG and other needs (Eg Sky Sports !) no matter what ;)

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:00 pm

The fact that RG has no direct competition on the shelves of high street newsagents probably helps too.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:05 pm

and for only £2 or £3 a month by subscription , I doubt there are many regulars who would consider cancelling even if times do get hard/er for them
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:15 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:and for only £2 or £3 a month by subscription , I doubt there are many regulars who would consider cancelling even if times do get hard/er for them
You've got that right! (Time for a high five).
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am

FatTrucker wrote:Well my cocks fine so that just leaves RG and the mortgage.
Didn't even know you were a chicken breeder ;)
Quaid wrote:During the last 2 blips, computing magazines sales have been robust, so there's no danger of RG going anywhere during this one.
Blips? What blips, I must have missed them :(

I've only recently started watching the news again, but it terrifys me... so I think I'll stop again :cry:

vic26

Post by vic26 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Quaid wrote:During the last 2 blips, computing magazines sales have been robust, so there's no danger of RG going anywhere during this one.

:[/quote]

Blips lol - when I was a kid lol PCPlus and PCW and computer shopper were the size of telephone directories, because they were jam packed with adverts, they're less than half the size now probably a 3rd in some issues! and in my estimation a lot of the content has been dumbed down as well

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:50 am

vic26 wrote:

:
Blips lol - when I was a kid lol PCPlus and PCW and computer shopper were the size of telephone directories, because they were jam packed with adverts, they're less than half the size now probably a 3rd in some issues! and in my estimation a lot of the content has been dumbed down as well[/quote]

That's not the economy, that's the internet. Those 2 mags were all 16 page adverts for the likes of Ebuyer and Dabs (or their 90s equivilent). These ads were needed because you couldn't just go on line to buy things. They did of course also pay for a lot of editorial, even if it started (no joke) on page 400.

Fewer ads, because they can buy 1 page and market better online these days (especially with regards to prices) means fewer editorial pages in these mags.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

vic26

Post by vic26 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm

My thoughts are though Dudley is surely with the internet as you say, all that advertising revenue from the massive mags has gone - thereby causing a blip - Unless of course advertising rates have doubled since those days making up for the 50% drop in magazine size?
The other thing I've recalled since reading a couple of threads has sparked a few of the old little grey cells going off, back in the day magazine coverdisks often had full versions of last years or the year before commercial software on them - Sidekick, PC Plus ran the whole lotus Smartsuite on CD for about 2 years runnings, PCW I think gave away OS/2 (which accidently was a full non-limited version IIRC), Serif Drawplus and related apps often featured as well , and Amiga magazines had full versions of budget games.

Modern coverdisks from PC magazines I generally find uninsprising, its either stuff that as an enthusiast you already have i.e. this months PC Format I bought on a whim has Firefox as one of the apps on its DVD, or contains demos and game patches which you could download from the net.

One thing I liked about the old retrogamer cover disks is that they tied into the content of the mag a lot more and had a lot of stuff that wasn't that easily downloadable - the amiga emulator, or the entire back catalog of certain games companies.

But i'm moving away from the original point onto coverdisks now, and I don't want to reopen that question! but perhaps once a year a special issue with a coverdisk of retro remakes, emulators etc could be considered?

I suppose im saying in a lot of ways it was better in the past, hence im a retro gamer reader!!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 am

Retro gamer has the advantage, that at £4.99, it's not as dependant on advertising as say, 360 is at £2.95.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com