OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Kelp7 - RGCD is a free download.

Despite that, I'd still like to see more of it in the mag.
Well yeah, but it's not printed hardcopy which is what i like to read :) but still, maybe i'll take a look at it
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: But the thing is that more often than not they aren't as good as new games on new systems ; not due to the abilities of the programmers , more to do with the severe restricitons of the machines.
I still think there's life in the old 8-bits etc, I don't think every idea has been tried out on those machines. It's well worth, for instance, bringing across some of the ideas that are around nowadays on newer games into games for the old computers. For instance, this idea on consoles (e.g. mariokart wii) of unlocking new bits of games and stuff. Maybe that's been done on 8-bits i dunno...
MZ-80A Secrets

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Can we draw a line on the homebrew conversation now, please, so we can get more feedback about the issue itself? (If anyone wants to continue to the homebrew discussion, please start a new thread and I'll happily link to it from this post.)

Ta.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I've just read the Ally Noble Desert Island Disks piece; very informative indeed.

Marble Madness was another great article; extra marks for presentation - I agree with a previous post - the full level maps look terrific.

I'm 'saving' the Border Down article; this looks a real treat.

I've now reconciled my conflicting opinions on the cover - it has become one of my favourites (a grower, as they say)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:28 pm

From a design point of view I'd like to see the magazine a little more 'rough around the edges' and could be a little less formulaic in layout and content. I love the early sketches of levels and design notes - things you would never find on the Internet plus the lives of the early bedroom coders and their stories (Matthew Smith is an obvious example which was done well). Leading on from that point is what does the magazine offer that the Internet dosen't? For me it's a sense of community and identity that random Internet pages don't provide in my opinion. I am always thankful that the magazine exists although you do get closer scrutiny than many other magazines I would imagine. I think the blog you have could be an intersting way forward where the personalities of the staff and their interests are shown, I think these are of real interest to many readers. I am also aware that this forum (and there are probably only 50 regular posters) does not represent all of your readers interests either.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Now that I've finally subscribed, I was pleased when the mag appeared through my letter box.

I was impressed with the RetroInspection on the PC-FX but I want to know one thing:

Where's the Retro Inspection on the Commodore 16?

I'll be happy once I've seen that!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:30 pm

woody.cool wrote:Now that I've finally subscribed, I was pleased when the mag appeared through my letter box.

I was impressed with the RetroInspection on the PC-FX but I want to know one thing:

Where's the Retro Inspection on the Commodore 16?

I'll be happy once I've seen that!

It would be interesting to see a Retro Inspection on this system soon.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 pm

yethboth wrote:
It would be interesting to see a Retro Inspection on this system soon.

:)
I concur with that indeed. Know very little about the machine but definitely interested in learning about its history and games....
MZ-80A Secrets

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:29 pm

What are the chances it will be a joint feature withe the Plus/4?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:32 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What are the chances it will be a joint feature withe the Plus/4?
And the C116 with a mention of the 364 as well... =-)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 am

Perhaps Jason should write it...? :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:30 am

Off on a tangent, anyone else notice the special edition version of Knightlore feat Alien 8 on the Back to the Eighties page, another Ultimate Rarity no doubt!

:wink:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:12 am

i certainly enjoyed the magazine anyway,my local book shop must be really good or technology has got better.Since im not in uk im usually sprised to have the magazine the same time as its out in the uk.As for the saturn,as an owner myself yes theres a lot of jap stuff released for it.And a lot of the jap games on it are very good.if i could recommend a game retroveival/games you must play i would recommend wolf fang for the Saturn.Excellent 2d shooter.Has saturn mode too with extra/levels features.Was suprised in the letter pages how much some issues of the magazine go for now on ebay.oh yes i have a soft spot for combat school too,used to play it all time down in arcade!

was there feature done on top 25 jap imports you must play?

As for the eds and writers,the critics you get- you cant please everyone,its fact of life!
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruudos

Post by Ruudos » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 am

Apparentely you haven't beaten the NES version of Boulder Dash. The game gets harder every time you beat it. I think you have to beat it 3 times to beat the game completely and get the real ending.
I'm pretty sure there's a suicide option too, but I have to check that one out.

Overall, really nice magazine. Covers rocks, I'm glad I discovered Retro Gamer 8)

Also interested in a cover article for the C16. I got one for free about a year ago :)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:19 am

i think the import features in the mag is very good,i would have never heard of radiant silvergun/terra diver until i got retro gamer