OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Well , this is the thing - is an extra 1 page of homebrew too much?
As long as there's enough worthwhile stuff out there (and i'm sure there is) then I don't see a problem with an expansion from 2 to 3 pages , I just wouldn't like to see too much devotion

It would be nice to see it themed - perhaps looking at makeovers of one particular game or series of games , rather than a random selection of new titles.

Thinking about it , whilst I am not a fan or updated versions of old games , I am interested in fan follow-ups for graphic adventures like DOTT2 , Indy and the Crown Of Solomon and FOA 2 (although I wonder be happy to see just one of those three come to fruition) , so I guess I AM a homebrew fan to some extent
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 am

An extra page is problematic, because RG's flat-plan is built from double-page spreads. If the mag had a load more advertising, you could easily enough bung an ad next to a third page, but it doesn't.

One possibility—and something I think would work nicely as a compromise, would be to retain the two-page homebrew, but add an extra two pages for news and an interview every three months. That way, more bases are covered, but those not particularly interested in homebrew aren't annoyed to the level they would be if the section was doubled in size every issue.
It would be nice to see it themed - perhaps looking at makeovers of one particular game or series of games , rather than a random selection of new titles.
I'm glad it isn't themed, frankly. It then offers a decent spread of platforms.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:05 am

SirClive wrote:Why? I love what is there but don't feel it needs expanding further. Just the same as with the Back to the... features
To be fair, I don't know what RGCD is, but my point is how can you only be interested in old games for the old systems? My highest point of interest is the 8-bit era, not only do I love seeing articles about the old games from that era but would dearly love to see any more coverage possible of new software being written right now for machines of that era. I guess I just don't get how you'd not want to see new stuff written for old machines...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
SirClive wrote:
TMR wrote:Darran and i have talked about expanding the homebrew section by a couple of pages, but neither of us were entirely sure it would be popular.
I'd probably prefer not. I like Jason's writing (and programming), but I am more interested in old games for old systems. I have RGCD for new games on old systems.
likewise - I appreciate the time and skill devoted by those who create such games , but tbh they're not what I by RG for. I don't WANT to play new versions of old classics , because lose the nostalgia , and you lose one of the main reasons for playing
Er, but what about new games entirely built for the old machines? That's entirely different. I have to admit i'm not that interested in the remakes of old games onto new platforms. Much rather see new games being made for the old platforms.
MZ-80A Secrets

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 am

Back on the subject of the issue itself, I'd like to say for the record how much I enjoyed the Boulder Dash piece, and also how happy I am about how the designer and Darran dealt with my Marble Madness piece, following the rather restrictive instructions I provided for the level-maps spread. Me = a very happy contributor.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 am

Very much enjoyed. As mentioned before, i am not interested in every article in the mag (perhaps i don't personally like the game, genre or system) but that doesn't mean it isn't well worth a read. They certainly should not be slated for this reason. This month, loved the Boulderdash, Alex Kidd and Retro Shamer, not personally interested in home brew stuff, but a very good issue all round. Keep it up.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:31 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Back on the subject of the issue itself, I'd like to say for the record how much I enjoyed the Boulder Dash piece, and also how happy I am about how the designer and Darran dealt with my Marble Madness piece, following the rather restrictive instructions I provided for the level-maps spread. Me = a very happy contributor.
To be fair all the kudos should go to Steve. All I did was commission it :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 am

You definitely ought to find a reason to include lots more full-game maps like those MM ones. They always look fantastic, and there are plenty of them around.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:28 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:You definitely ought to find a reason to include lots more full-game maps like those MM ones. They always look fantastic, and there are plenty of them around.
I agree, they look great. If you had a complete game map of something like, say, Starquake spread over two pages, you could add captions to it detailing important gameplay elements and particularly interesting nasties.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:20 am

kelp7 wrote:
SirClive wrote:Why? I love what is there but don't feel it needs expanding further. Just the same as with the Back to the... features
To be fair, I don't know what RGCD is, but my point is how can you only be interested in old games for the old systems? My highest point of interest is the 8-bit era, not only do I love seeing articles about the old games from that era but would dearly love to see any more coverage possible of new software being written right now for machines of that era. I guess I just don't get how you'd not want to see new stuff written for old machines...
That's not what he said - he said he doesn't feel Retro Gamer doesn't need to increase their coverage.

And if you knew what RGCD is (a diskmag which exclusively covers new games for old systems and PC remakes) then it might make a bit of sense :wink:

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:45 am

Regarding the general topic, I'm now questioning my own opinion of the cover...

To be honest my first reaction was 'oh no, another one like last month's' (which more than a few people weren't keen on).

Having now looked at it again whilst reading the thread I find I'm warming to it (especially the subtle touches such as '19m69' and the issue-number-as-elevation).

Now I'm all confused.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 am

Another great issue with some interesting stuff - particularly enjoyed the PCFX piece and the making of Marble Madness.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:56 am

Graham Humphrey wrote:
kelp7 wrote:
That's not what he said - he said he doesn't feel Retro Gamer doesn't need to increase their coverage.

And if you knew what RGCD is (a diskmag which exclusively covers new games for old systems and PC remakes) then it might make a bit of sense :wink:
Well, he *did* say "I'd probably prefer not. I like Jason's writing (and programming), but I am more interested in old games for old systems. I have RGCD for new games on old systems."

Now, I *don't* have RGCD. I'm glad he does, but I don't. So why not include some more stuff along these lines in the magazine that I *am* subscribed too! :)
MZ-80A Secrets

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Kelp7 - RGCD is a free download.

Despite that, I'd still like to see more of it in the mag.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 pm

kelp7 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
SirClive wrote: I'd probably prefer not. I like Jason's writing (and programming), but I am more interested in old games for old systems. I have RGCD for new games on old systems.
likewise - I appreciate the time and skill devoted by those who create such games , but tbh they're not what I by RG for. I don't WANT to play new versions of old classics , because lose the nostalgia , and you lose one of the main reasons for playing
Er, but what about new games entirely built for the old machines? That's entirely different. I have to admit i'm not that interested in the remakes of old games onto new platforms. Much rather see new games being made for the old platforms.
But the thing is that more often than not they aren't as good as new games on new systems ; not due to the abilities of the programmers , more to do with the severe restricitons of the machines.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"