OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 am

Got my copy this weekend, (Thanks for the great 2 page feature on the Speccy book !), enjoyed the Boulderdash and Konami articles as i play those games a ton.

Also a fan of Shao Lins Road, like SirClive i liked the arcade version and the Speccy one (Still Yie Ar Kung Fu was always one of the best to me).

As always really enjoy the 80's and 90's feature.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:31 am

Great issue. Loved the Boulderdash feature and nice to see the PCFX perfect 10.

Any chance of a perfect 10 on some other Japan only machines? I would love to see "FM-Towns Marty" and "X68000" covered.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 am

THE FRONT COVER.................

Darn site better than the last one!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 am

Yep, one of the best I reckon. Only thing I don't like is the yelloww lettering.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:40 am

Yeah liked the issue although I skipped past Star Wars part 2 as I was a bit fed up of star Wars. Liked the Marble Madness Making Of and an explanation of the level design, that games has always infuriated me. The PC-FX article is inevitably for a minority but worth reading anyway.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Mayhem wrote:Enjoyed the issue, enjoyed the Konami feature and the Making of Marble Madness. But Shaolin's Road and Pooyan in the "Six of the Best" and no Time Pilot, Gyruss or Gradius? I think Shaolin's Road is an appalling game, no redeeming quality to it at all. Likewise I love Tutankham so was horrified to see it in the other section...
Shaolin's Road is wonderful, and Tutankham is rubbish. On the other hand, Jail Break is splendid, so I think we can all agree that the author is pretty much wrong about everything...

More seriously, it was extremely irritating to see the piece contradict things which have already appeared in RG, properly researched and correct, and re-introduce inaccurate and unnecessary doubt about them.
Contrary to popular belief, [Scramble] wasn't the first Nemesis...
Really? I'd have thought Konami were the ultimate authority on that, and according to Gradius Generations Scramble IS the first in the Nemesis series and that's that. There's really no excuse for getting something like that wrong when the correct fact has already been published in the mag, complete with source, and it casts doubt on everything else written in an article that's littered with other errors. Konami's fantastic arcade history deserves more respect than that.

(Presumably the justification for the claim is copied from Wikipedia, source of many widely-publicised errors about games, which says:
However, the Gradius Portable guidebook issued a few years after by Konami, lists Scramble as part of their shooting history, and the Gradius games are now listed separately.
But that doesn't actually mean Scramble isn't part of the Gradius series.)

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Amazing issue this month guys - the PC-FX feature is of particular interest to me as I'm always interested in the rarer consoles :)

But seriously, this month is pretty much a perfect issue - there isn't a page that I don't like the look of!

Perfect! Well, done Darran and co - keep up the good work :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Awesome cover - keep them coming please!

The mag, for me is the best one yet, the content is worthy of quoting Spandau Ballet...

'Gold
Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know
Youre indestructable
Always believe in, because you are
Gold.'
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Rev Stu Campbell

Quote "Really? I'd have thought Konami were the ultimate authority on that, and according to Gradius Generations Scramble IS the first in the Nemesis series and that's that"

If it were true then im sure Konami would have mentioned it before 2001. None of the related media, marketing or instructions from the day mentioned Scramble or Super Cobra or even alluded to Gradius/Nemesis being a sequel. Probably has more to do with the Nintendo part of Mobile 21 wanting to create a backstory or embelish the history somewhat.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Like that Alex Kidd got some love this issue :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Mickey T wrote:If it were true then im sure Konami would have mentioned it before 2001. None of the related media, marketing or instructions from the day mentioned Scramble or Super Cobra or even alluded to Gradius/Nemesis being a sequel.
So what? Even if they retrofit it into the canon, it's still part. It's their game, they get to decide what the story is.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:20 pm

We agree to disagree as always Stu heh... I love Tutankham so there you go. Mind you I do quite like Yie Ar Kung Fu, I just think Shaolin's Road is boring and vastly repetitive.

As for Scramble being Gradius Zero, yeah I too have read similar as proposed by Konami so there is credence for sure to it being "retro fitted" into the series.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:32 pm

I was shown a link (will have to see if I still have it) saying that the compilation was put together by a third party who decided to include Scramble and that Konami didn't pick up on it and it was later rectified by Konami japan not including Scramble in its Gradius PSP collectoin.

Obviously this above may or may not be true, but on the other hand this is the same company that thinks it's the Beaumont family that fights Dracula, so I didn't have a problem with the line going in.

Oh and Jail Break is complete and utter pap. Always has been always will be (although I have a soft spot for Combat School).

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Have only been a subscriber for 3 months but the issue seems to arrive earlier and earlier, 11th of July! Darran, when is your deadline for an issue before its sent to the printers?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Obv 53degrees is the issue number , but what's the 19m69 referring to?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"