OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Still don't have my copy... :cry:
I guess I gotta call the subs hotline. In the meantime, my local newsagent at the main station has two copies - for whopping 12,50 EUR which is about 9.86 GBP! I'm starting to opt for buying that one to be on the safe side. Any comments?

big man

Post by big man » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:58 am

It's been interesting reading this thread from 1 - 10 and I'm quite surprised by a lot of the comments.
I've been reading RG since issue 19 and have picked up the eMag too.
It's pretty much impossible to please everybody with each magazine as the amount of readers probably all had/have different computers/consoles anyway, so one article will interest some whilst others will have no interest.
I really appreciate all the work that goes into the magazine and I even read the articles on stuff I never played or had.
I always look forward to 'Back to the Eighties' as this was my gaming era and I enjoy reading it with hindsight.
It's a shame that the Developer/Publisher articles are being restricted as they should take as many parts as necessary to get the history across.
Keep up the great work and thanks for bringing back so many memories!
formally known as bass bushell

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:13 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Great edition, the best for a while I read it cover to cover.

I too enjoyed the feature on Boulderdash, having only played one of the games on the 464 I hadn't realised that there were that many incarnatations of the game.
What i found odd was no mention of Repton, or any other games that might have been rip offs of it.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

merman

Post by merman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 am

kelp7 wrote:

I too enjoyed the feature on Boulderdash, having only played one of the games on the 464 I hadn't realised that there were that many incarnatations of the game.
What i found odd was no mention of Repton, or any other games that might have been rip offs of it.
Because it was a Definitive Boulderdash article, not about any other games series. And besides, the original Repton was created without any knowledge of Boulderdash...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 am

merman wrote:
kelp7 wrote:

Because it was a Definitive Boulderdash article, not about any other games series. And besides, the original Repton was created without any knowledge of Boulderdash...
Wasn't it based on what the author took away from a review of Boulder Dash?

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 am

TMR wrote:Wasn't it based on what the author took away from a review of Boulder Dash?
Think so, yeah. Same as Vektar on the GP2X was made by a dude who saw the reviews of Geometry Wars but never actually played it.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 am

merman wrote:
kelp7 wrote:

Fair enough but the introductory paragraph mentions how many times Boulderdash has been copied, as well as 300 clones or so... but i see where you're coming from. just might have made a nice box-out
MZ-80A Secrets

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 am

Repton's much better than Boulderdash though. It would have overshadowed it, look.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:10 pm

The Master wrote:Repton's much better than Boulderdash though.
Wash your mouth out with soap this instant!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:56 am

kelp7 wrote:Fair enough but the introductory paragraph mentions how many times Boulderdash has been copied, as well as 300 clones or so... but i see where you're coming from. just might have made a nice box-out
Perhaps it would, as would the more relevant inclusion of the various official mobile-phone implementations and sequels to BD, but the feature was 10 pages long and we've already had people complaining about that being too much. Covering mobile games and clones would have bumped the page count up to 14 or 16, and in a magazine with a finite amount of space you have to draw the line somewhere.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:38 am

Recieved my issue at long last and I must say that this is another Superb issue with an excellent front cover.

A few requests though:

1. Could we have a few more 'The Classic Game' features by say about 5 per month rather than just the 1 per month please?

2. Is the Bargain Hunt section going to be receiving a makeover soon?

Thanks.

It was nice to see loads of reviews in this issue because in the last issue there was only a few for some reason, but I was very pleased to see loads of reviews in this issue though.

Many Thanks.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
The Master wrote:Repton's much better than Boulderdash though.
Wash your mouth out with soap this instant!
Shan't. Handbags and/or umbrellas at dawn.

KW

Post by KW » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Nah, banjo dueling is the only way to do it, followed by some sword fight insulting

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:09 pm

KW wrote:Nah, banjo dueling is the only way to do it, followed by some sword fight insulting
Enough with the innuendo!
MZ-80A Secrets

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:10 pm

I believe KW is talking about Monkey Island!