OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:09 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Retro Inspection feature on the Sam Coupe system in the very near future please?

Many Thanks.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:You definitely ought to find a reason to include lots more full-game maps like those MM ones. They always look fantastic, and there are plenty of them around.
Yeah, anything that doesn't get too pixelated.

So, any chance of you doing a bit on "most converted games"? Have kinda been touching on it in your list of conversions...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:28 pm

yethboth wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Retro Inspection feature on the Sam Coupe system in the very near future please?

Many Thanks.

Has it not already been done? I remember reading an article somewhere. Maybe it was in the Retro Fusion mag instead?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
yethboth wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Retro Inspection feature on the Sam Coupe system in the very near future please?

Many Thanks.

Has it not already been done? I remember reading an article somewhere. Maybe it was in the Retro Fusion mag instead?
I thought there had been a massive retroinspection of it before now, maybe a year ago, i dunno. Definitely remember reading about it because they spoke to a guy who's still writing software for it nowadays etc...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:54 am

Opa-Opa wrote:10 pages of Boulderdash and every game in the auction watch is an import..?

Not a great issue so far but will leave my final judgement untill I have read the whole mag.

The cover is stunning though, one of the best.
Auction watch is really poor, only looked at it briefly, but not exactly a big deal in the amount of difference that any ofthem have sold for.

Suppose that's what happens when you stick with a particular system from time to time.

Amazing cover.

And found a lot of rather interesting reads in other places.

Retro shamer was class. Forgot how funny/appaling/p1ss poor that game was. But back then it was really somethin else, and as a way of "expanding" on the Pit Fighter concept, was not given the credit it deserves.

This month I would give the mag a............................................. 7
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Hey Darren...
Great issue this month.
Loved the PCFX article and the Konami developer lookback,just what the Doctor ordered !!!!!!!!!!!!1
Cheers.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:04 pm

I've read most of it by now and I agree with the consensus, it's a good one. Nothing that I was particularly attached to in it, but to be honest, hit that mark every month and I'd start feeling paranoid.

One thing does bug me, though; the word "sandbox" is starting to get everywhere. In this case, the Boulder Dash article. Surely it's a stretch to call this game "sandbox?" The argument that it's "sandbox" - "It was sometimes as much fun just to muck around and see what happened as it was to try and beat the levels" - can be applied to everything from Tetris to Sonic the Hedgehog. It just seems that the term gets thrown around far more easily than it was ever meant to.

One other thing is bugging me, but in a different way; there's a little Miner Willy sprite in the Chiller screenshot on page 19. I'm positive that somebody already mentioned spotting either that or something like that, but I can't find the mention either here or in the letters page. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
It's called a MEGADRIVE

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 am

Mort wrote:Off on a tangent, anyone else notice the special edition version of Knightlore feat Alien 8 on the Back to the Eighties page, another Ultimate Rarity no doubt!

:wink:
Yep, I spotted that - I was going to scan in the picture and ask the same question - maybe it's from the same phtoshopper that provided the watercooler scene in Pitfall many issues back?

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:01 am

Re: Page 29 - "1989 - Konami releases Turtles In Time"

Could have fooled me but I'm sure that Turtles In Time was a sequel released in 1991 and the original arcade, released in 89, never had any kind of alternative or sub-title.

It's silly little mistakes like this that put me off the last issue.

Also, did Mike Tooley really have to refer to the Turtles coin op as 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles'? I know RG is largely a localised mag but is NINJA such a bad word? Does the govenment and the BBC still think that it will cause us all to break out the shurikens and slice old lady's heads off?!

I won't bother complaining about the differences between Nemesis and Gradius. I think you've covered the confusion with that one very well in the past already.

However, I do feel that the Konami piece was a very abridged overview of one of gaming's most important developers. I hope part 2 improves.

The Boulderdash stuff sounds good from what I've read but I personally prefered Bite The Dust; a Crash reader ripoff on the Speccy that was given away with the mag. That had a level editor too.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:14 am

Now I've always referred to the comic as TMNT (mainly because I started reading it in 1987 before the cartoon made it here), but it would be more familiar to most readers in the UK.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

waeberd

Post by waeberd » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Great issue, I love the Boulder Dash and the Marble Madness especially.

Regarding Marble Madness:
if you mention "Marble Blast Ultra" as an actual reincarnation of MM, please also have a look at the GREAT game called "Hamsterball" from Raptisoft!!!
http://www.raptisoft.com/index.php?page=hamsterball

Hamsterball is lovely and worth every cent! And I'd love to see this on XBox Live Arcade, btw! :-)

Another game that comes to mind is Switchball
http://www.switchball.com/
but while inspired by the marbe-theme, this is quite different from marble madness, still a nice game with nice physics.

The Hamsterball-game should be in the article IMHO!

Thanks, Daniel

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Great cover, one of the best so far. Enjoyed the Konami and Marble Madness features best.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Re: Page 29 - "1989 - Konami releases Turtles In Time"

Could have fooled me but I'm sure that Turtles In Time was a sequel released in 1991 and the original arcade, released in 89, never had any kind of alternative or sub-title.

It's silly little mistakes like this that put me off the last issue.

Also, did Mike Tooley really have to refer to the Turtles coin op as 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles'? I know RG is largely a localised mag but is NINJA such a bad word? Does the govenment and the BBC still think that it will cause us all to break out the shurikens and slice old lady's heads off?!

I won't bother complaining about the differences between Nemesis and Gradius. I think you've covered the confusion with that one very well in the past already.

However, I do feel that the Konami piece was a very abridged overview of one of gaming's most important developers. I hope part 2 improves.
Konami was certainly abridged, reader feed back suggested that the three part features were unpopular and that two was the maximum people wanted to see, previously these features had been split down into decades 70-80s 90s and beyond, three parts allowed enough space to cover most milestones, two parts was woefully inadequate for a company of Konami's stature, to give you an idea SNK carried 12000 words over three issues while Konami has closer to 7000 over two, but it is what the readership asked for. I have spoken to Darran and this will be redressed for future features. The feature definately was crammed, and loads had to be dropped or not included at all. Hands up for T.I.T blooper though.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:17 pm

waeberd wrote:if you mention "Marble Blast Ultra" as an actual reincarnation of MM, please also have a look at the GREAT game called "Hamsterball" from Raptisoft!
There are so many games in this genre, and I only had four slots. Being Retro Gamer, Gyroscope and Spindizzy had to go in. And with SMB being a huge title, that only left a single slot, to which I decided MBU was most suited/known. The game you mention was on the list (along with Pac 'n' Roll, and a bunch of others), but didn't make the cut.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Mickey T wrote: Konami was certainly abridged, reader feed back suggested that the three part features were unpopular and that two was the maximum people wanted to see, previously these features had been split down into decades 70-80s 90s and beyond, three parts allowed enough space to cover most milestones, two parts was woefully inadequate for a company of Konami's stature, to give you an idea SNK carried 12000 words over three issues while Konami has closer to 7000 over two, but it is what the readership asked for. I have spoken to Darran and this will be redressed for future features. The feature definately was crammed, and loads had to be dropped or not included at all. Hands up for T.I.T blooper though.
Cheers, Mickey. That's a real shame because I really enjoyed the SNK feature.

I dunno why such things should be unpopular with RG readers. I've got every single issue of RG and I'd much rather know the when's, why's and how's over soft cuddly feelings of nostalga from the staff.

What I'm trying to say is, I couldn't care less about 'features' like RetroRevival, especially when it's just to hear about how naff Guardians of the Hood and Back to the Future were, if they come at the expense of such informative and historic pieces. I really don't wish to see RG turn into some kind of mad trolley dash through video game history. I'm sure I'm not alone.

On a positive note, I think 'The Definitive...' is the mag's best feature. It's great to know about all of those different sequels and remakes.