OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

OFFICIAL ISSUE 53 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by kelp7 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:26 am

Just dropped through the letterbox. Now *that* is what I call a proper Retro gamer magazine cover :)

EDIT:
THE Official Front Cover

Developer Lookback: Konami
Contra, Metal Gear, Castlevania - Just a few of the classic franchises that Konami has created over the past 39 years.

The Definitive - Boulder Dash
Stuart Campbell's latest indispensable guide reveals everything you ever needed to know about Rockford.

Retroinspection - PC-FX
Yes, it looks like a giant PC tower, but there was a lot more to NEC's PC-FX than first met the eye.

The History of Star Wars Part II
So here it is, the second part of our ridiculously exhaustive Star Wars feature is finally here. Prepare to feel the full force of the... um... force.

The Making of - Marble Madness
Not content with going behind the scenes of some of the best loved arcade games of all time, we've found yet another one to expose. Namely the excellent Marble Madness.

Why you must Play - Enduro Racer
Everyone remembers the brilliance of OutRun, Hang-On and After Burner, but where's the love for Enduro Racer?

The Making of - Border Down
Discover how G.rev created one of the Dreamcast's best shoot-em-ups in an exclusive new interview.

Desert Island Disks - Ally Noble
One of Denton Design's co-founders looks back at her impressive career and shares her favourite games with us.

And much more including: Back to the Future, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Guardians of the Hood, Superman 64, Kane, Sorcery+
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:40 am

Man - this issue seems to have been written for me, everything in it looks terrific! Superb & insightful Border Down Making Of, great Desert Island Disks on the subject of one of my all-time fave developers - just working through the wonderful Marble Madness article now - nice work on those level paste-ups Craig! Boulderdash Definitive looks ace - one of Stuart's finest, as does the Konami Retrospective & PC Engine FX feature - a format I know little about so I will enjoy reading that.

Only two Making Of's this month though? ;)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:52 am

10 pages of Boulderdash and every game in the auction watch is an import..?

Not a great issue so far but will leave my final judgement untill I have read the whole mag.

The cover is stunning though, one of the best.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:03 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Not a great issue so far but will leave my final judgement untill I have read the whole mag.
So it is not a great issue because it's poorly written or simply because there's a couple of subjects covered you don't actually like?

If it's the former than its obviously a massive issue. If it's the latter then it's a little unfortunate and you'll hopefully find more stuff you liked playing next month.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 am

Great issue, my nostalgia glands are weeping as I speak. :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:10 am

Scan cover? Scaaaaaaaaaaaan coooooooooooveeeeeer???

;)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:15 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: So it is not a great issue because it's poorly written or simply because there's a couple of subjects covered you don't actually like?

If it's the former than its obviously a massive issue. If it's the latter then it's a little unfortunate and you'll hopefully find more stuff you liked playing next month.
It's most likely the later, not everyone is going to enjoy every article but 10 pages of a game that is pretty much the same in looks, style and gameplay on every system it's ever been released on is a bit much and why no UK released games at all in the auction watch..?
You could have at least included a few titles for people that have no interest what so ever in import stuff and the hassle + price that is part of that aspect of our collective hobby.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:19 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: So it is not a great issue because it's poorly written or simply because there's a couple of subjects covered you don't actually like?

It's most likely the later, not everyone is going to enjoy every article but 10 pages of a game that is pretty much the same in looks, style and gameplay on every system it's ever been released on is a bit much and why no UK released games at all in the auction watch..?
You could have at least included a few titles for people that have no interest what so ever in import stuff and the hassle + price that is part of that aspect of our collective hobby.
It's a saturn shooter list. only about three shooters were released in the UK, so they're all Japanese. And besides it's not as though the machine's hard to chip/expensive to buy on import.

Still, we'll make sure that they're not all import only in future.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:23 am

Letters page: Beneath a Steel Sky.

I'm more than a little surprised you didn't recommend (or try yourselves) SCUMMVM. It works fine with that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:30 am

Works fine in SCUMM or DOSBox for me. Broken Sword's the one I can't seem to get going properly...

And ten pages of Boulder Dash is fine by me btw. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:30 am

Opa-Opa wrote:

tbh I'd rather have a full , in-depth definitive 10 page article on what , for many , is one of the more important 8-bit series of games , than a2/3 pages. If that means more pages devoted to less topics , that - imho - is a good idea.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:31 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
It's a saturn shooter list. only about three shooters were released in the UK, so they're all Japanese. And besides it's not as though the machine's hard to chip/expensive to buy on import.

Theres no need to get all sarcastic, the machine IS hard to illegally chip yourself, even more so if you don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other..

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 am

Opa-Opa wrote:

Theres no need to get all sarcastic, the machine IS hard to illegally chip yourself, even more so if you don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other..
I wasn't being sarcastic in the slightest, you're far too defensive.

Chipping machines to play imports isn't illegal, according to a recent ruling anyway. Chipping machines solely to play pirate games is obviously illegal though and something I don't condone.

I wasn't necessarily saying that you should chip the machine yourself, but that chipped saturns are easy to get hold of. Sorry if I didn't make the original sentance clearer.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:47 am

Opa-Opa wrote:

I think that most people who still have a Saturn , own it primarily for 2D fighters and shooters. Like Darran said , the vast majority of (decent) shooters for the machine are only available on Jap import , so a feature based on a handful of Brit shooters wouldn't be very interesting - or very long. On the subject of legality, I 'd think we'd all agree that much retro gaming depends on skirting the murky waters of legal issues ; I wouldn't like to see RG play TOO staright a bat!

I do agree however that a collectors feature devoted soley to imported games isn't a particulary good idea ; then again for those devoted to collecting rare/obscure Jap/US games , it may have been a great collection to feature!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:48 am

Opa-Opa wrote:not everyone is going to enjoy every article but 10 pages of a game that is pretty much the same in looks, style and gameplay on every system it's ever been released on
Well, what you're saying there is that you don't like The Definitive... as a concept, not that you don't like there being one on Boulder Dash. Boulder Dash Rocks is as different from Boulder Dash 1 as any of the Out Run games or the Defender games or the Lode Runner games are from each other. If you don't like Boulder Dash, fair enough. But if you do, then it deserves to be written about properly, and 10 pages is how many it took to get all the games in.