New Subscriber Help - No deliveries & No Customer Service (Canada)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Plastico44

New Subscriber Help - No deliveries & No Customer Service (Canada)

Post by Plastico44 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi All,

Back in November, I decided to subscribe to RetroGamer. I was a long-time subscriber years ago and decided I'd give it another try when I got notification of a Black Friday sale. It looks like I should have viewed this forum beforehand.... It's now March and I have not received a single issue. According to www.mymagazine.co.uk I have been delivered four issues. I have contacted their customer support as well as claimed missing issues. I have gotten zero response from either method on multiple occasions. I understand delivery is slower due to COVID-19. I subscribe to about 4 or 5 videogame mags from Patreon all shipped from the UK to Canada during the last year and there are never any shipping delays. Can anyone give some additional feedback on what is going on here? It's really disappointing to return after all these years to what feels like a scam. I can't imagine they can continue to run subscriptions like this for much longer. I'd add to the tracking issues thread, but I haven't ever received one or spoken to anyone at their CS team. This is the last resort before moving toward a chargeback via Visa. Thanks!

RetroBob

Re: New Subscriber Help - No deliveries & No Customer Service (Canada)

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm

Sorry to hear it mate and I'm sure the mag team are too - Future customer service is a total shitshow. They simply cannot continue to blame Covid at this stage, as you say post is getting through just fine. I suspect Future are using some cheap skank postal service rather than Royal Mail.

In the last few months they have switched to paper envelopes rather than plastic so more than one has turned up wet which has soaked through to the mag. Obviously this wouldn't have happned with a plastic wrapper... but hey, why let that get in the way of virtue signalling.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Plastico44

Post by Plastico44 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Thanks for the response and clarification! I would like to imagine the magazine team is sorry, but after quickly browsing the forum, it appears that an editor, "Darran@Retro Gamer," still uses this platform to get fan feedback for letters. In my opinion, If they can use this forum as a tool to produce content for the magazine, then they could also use it as a tool to communicate. For any other company, this would read as a distribution disaster. I truly enjoy the magazine, so this all seems rather weird after coming back 3/4 years later.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 am

International subscribers still are getting their copies (well, IF they're getting them, it seems) in plastic wrapping, which is kind of surrprising if you think about it.

Mainland Europe seems to be reasonably lucky as we are usually getting our issues, though rarerely before the next on has gone on sale already, but USA/Canada/Oceania really are getting screwed basically since shipping was paused for a while last year.

Darran actually is the editor-in-chief and I agree that it's not really that good a look to drop in and collect letter feeedback, but conveniently continue to ignore the problems that constantly are repored. I'm well aware editorial staff can do little to nothing about that, but we've also long gone past the point where it seemed like they were at least trying instead of going "not my problem".

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 am
International subscribers still are getting their copies (well, IF they're getting them, it seems) in plastic wrapping, which is kind of surrprising if you think about it.
Its not really that surprising given how much more international subscribers pay for their subscriptions

Plastico44

Post by Plastico44 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Thanks, this gives me a better understanding! Yeah, to be honest, I am frustrated that they use this forum to create content but refuse to discuss the apparent issues with their subscription service. Why is this acceptable? If this is the case, I should cancel the service as I have not gotten a single issue, and it is clear the bloody editor in chief only uses this forum when it helps them create content. Future/My Magazines also does not respond, so what is a customer supposed to do? Absolute shame as this is such a great magazine.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 am

RetroBob wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm
Sorry to hear it mate and I'm sure the mag team are too - Future customer service is a total shitshow. They simply cannot continue to blame Covid at this stage, as you say post is getting through just fine. I suspect Future are using some cheap skank postal service rather than Royal Mail.

In the last few months they have switched to paper envelopes rather than plastic so more than one has turned up wet which has soaked through to the mag. Obviously this wouldn't have happned with a plastic wrapper... but hey, why let that get in the way of virtue signalling.
Those paper envelopes are awful, they could use better quality envelopes and they would still be just as non plastic.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Sorry about the late reply Plastico44. I'm not on the forum much as you can probably tell. The magazine is taking more and more of my time and I'm rarely on here as a result.

Unfortunately, the editorial team has absolutely no control of how the mag is delivered, I wish we did but we don't and it's just as frustrating for us as it is for you. We work hard on the mag and it's frustrating seeing so many people having issues. I bring up the state of subs in every meeting I have with management, it's not something the team chooses to ignore, but it's something we certainly have no control over. We keep passing issues through to the relevant department as that's all we can do.

If you ever have any issues with receiving your magazine then the best way to reach out to us is to contact us is directly by using retrogamer@futurenet.com as they come directly to me and I will see it.

I can't help out with subs issues, but I can certainly push things to the relevant department.

And I'm not an editor in chief, just a humble editor.

I'll try and catch these complaints quicker going forward.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 pm

I wish you well getting the subscription sorted, I have recently just opted not to bother ordering any more from Magazines direct as the customer service has just gone abysmal. And it's a shame, as the products are outstanding, and the editorial crew work so hard only to be badly let down by distribution, and especially the service team sorting the problems that are bordering now on the worst service I strike online from any company. Not sure where they go from here, but it needs addressing, and fast.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 am

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 pm
I wish you well getting the subscription sorted, I have recently just opted not to bother ordering any more from Magazines direct as the customer service has just gone abysmal. And it's a shame, as the products are outstanding, and the editorial crew work so hard only to be badly let down by distribution, and especially the service team sorting the problems that are bordering now on the worst service I strike online from any company. Not sure where they go from here, but it needs addressing, and fast.
The best thing to do is write into the magazine. We'll then pass those complaints on. If you had a subscription make sure you give the reason why you're cancelling it as that information is collated.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 am
The best thing to do is write into the magazine. We'll then pass those complaints on. If you had a subscription make sure you give the reason why you're cancelling it as that information is collated.
Thanks Darren.

No, I've never subscribed, just a regular buyer from the site for RG, Imagine FX, and bookazines.

Delays I have always accepted, I live in NZ, about as far away as you can get, and our time of covid has made things extremely sporadic, I accept that. But my issue has been waiting for months to arrive, only to be told it was never sent (although to be fair I least got replies after a push- which is more than some people get) due to a decline of payment. And a quick refer to both my own records and paypal find that isn't the case at all. So you hit them up about that, and don't get a response....so I go and open a case at paypal, which sees the record and gives me a refund within ten minutes I think it was. The worrying thing for me, is how many others this has happened to, that haven't kept a record and are stuck.

But I feel for guys like this in this topic, and for the other in tracking lateness....and not only that, for your good selves as well, making the mag, and doing such an awesome job making a high quality publication. It isn't right that your efforts, and paying customers are both let down by poor service and distribution.

I do intend to still keep buying the mag, and the bookazines, as I enjoy them. I will prefer to seek other avenues to purchase from. If I hear through the forum there is an genuine effort to improve things rather than just ignore the issue, of course I will be giving it a go again, because I really like the product(s).

Plastico44

Post by Plastico44 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the team reaching out, hearing some response encourages me to continue supporting. I do wish you all the best in resolving this. Since my previous post, a few magazines have finally arrived for me, but I hope it's a lot smoother moving forward.

icemann

Post by icemann » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:24 am

Excuse the response to a thread not active since March.

I've found mymagazine.co.uk the place you have to go to get subscriptions of Retro Gamer from, to be one of the worst websites I've encountered in a long time. The old future publishing site was great, you logged in, could see your subscriptions immediately etc. The new one though. Wow. You get asked to login with your email then password, then it returns to the same screen (login). No mention about wrong password or account or anything. I needed to change my shipping address, and had to email their customer service to update it. In this day and age that's just bad. And it's going to cost this excellent magazine in the way of income, from all the people cancelling their subscriptions.

Fix your website.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 am

I just went in to the website and its not like that at all - under the Access your subscription, you enter email and password and then it takes you straight to the subscription summary page with your deliveries and how many mags remaining etc.