Subscriptions magazine cover options

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ely

Re: Subscriptions magazine cover options

Post by ely » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

Weblaus wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am
I'll just add that I work at a really small publisher (about 10 full-time employees including management) with two monthly magazines, both very certainly selling in _much_ smaller numbers than Retro Gamer.

We also introduced subscriber covers a few years ago, but somehow we do manage to offer our subscribers the option to choose if they want it or prefer to get the regular cover (not absolutely sure if you can change that like, but definitely when you sign up) - I have a hard time believing a big company like Future who happily spends lots of money to setadily make their customer service worse couldn't also affordt al least that if they wanted to.

Which they obviously don't.
In my experience the smaller the company the more flexible it can be as there are less layers of decision makers in the way. Future, by comparison, is a huge publishing house so stuff like this isn't exactly high priority and certainly something that's going to have any benefit on the balance sheet.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am
I have a hard time believing a big company like Future who happily spends lots of money to setadily make their customer service worse couldn't also affordt al least that if they wanted to.

Which they obviously don't.

Just read the "Tracking lateness" thread then you'll believe it.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:02 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 pm
Just read the "Tracking lateness" thread then you'll believe it.
Oh, I'm well familiar with that thread ever since Retro Gamer had the misforunte to be absorbed by Future...

What I meant is that I'm 100% sure that the decision to not allow subscribers a choice is not due to affordability (which is what yalaca suggested) but because Future doesn't give a crap about subscribers once they got their money.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 am

I'm not a fan of the subscriber cover either. I'm in 2 minds wether to cancel my subscription and just buy it in the shops. The reason? When I'm looking for an old aricle I look on the cover first to see if it's listed on there. The subscriber cover has no text at all so trying to find the right mag with the right article in the future will be nigh on impossible.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

ely

Post by ely » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 am

mlucifersam wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 am
The reason? When I'm looking for an old aricle I look on the cover first to see if it's listed on there. The subscriber cover has no text at all so trying to find the right mag with the right article in the future will be nigh on impossible.
30 seconds on DuckDuckGo and I found this, easier to search than looking at magazine covers I'd have thought.

http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/area/m ... ogamer.htm

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:09 am

ely wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 am
mlucifersam wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 am
The reason? When I'm looking for an old aricle I look on the cover first to see if it's listed on there. The subscriber cover has no text at all so trying to find the right mag with the right article in the future will be nigh on impossible.
30 seconds on DuckDuckGo and I found this, easier to search than looking at magazine covers I'd have thought.

http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/area/m ... ogamer.htm
DuckDuckGo?

You could have searched the forum:
search.php?keywords=retro+gamer+index
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ely

Post by ely » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:09 am
DuckDuckGo?

You could have searched the forum:
search.php?keywords=retro+gamer+index
Yes re: DuckDuckGo. I'm on a work laptop so have to use Tor Browser to look at this forum (it's blocked otherwise because it's about "games") and it just happens to use that search engine as it's default. Seems to work though :)

Really my point was that there is a solution to the problem being brought up, how you find the solution is a different discussion :)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm

I don't know what the retail version of EDGE #358 looked like, but I just recently opened the bag for my subscriber version and it had a stonking 3-D effect cover that really felt special. That was worth being a subs-special cover (if it was indeed).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:12 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm
I don't know what the retail version of EDGE #358 looked like, but I just recently opened the bag for my subscriber version and it had a stonking 3-D effect cover that really felt special. That was worth being a subs-special cover (if it was indeed).
Yeah, EDGE have been doing subscriber-exclusive covers for a while. Some of them have been stunning.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:35 pm

Well, I like the subscriber covers.