Jason Kelk A real Home Brew hero

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Jason Kelk A real Home Brew hero

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi everyone.
We've not had a Home Brew section in the magazine since last March as our regular columnist Jason Kelk was admitted to hospital with COVID-19.
After a 14-month battle Jason has sadly passed after fighting an admirable battle that sadly proved too much for him. A big hole has been left in the mag because Jason really was the Home Brew section, but a bigger hole has been left for his wife Sue and the rest of his family.

You can read about Jason's fight against COVID-19 here and as you can imagine Home Brew will be put on indefinite hold while we work out how to continue the section (if at all).
Our thoughts go out to all of Jason's friends and family. We've lost a valuable member of staff, but they have lost so much more.

Rest in peace, Jason.
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ed-3278551

ianpmarks

Re: Jason Kelk A real Home Brew hero

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Really sad to read this today. His homebrew section was a really thoughtful and interesting read and one of the sections I turned to first in the magazine. From what I've read he was also a wonderful human being and will be greatly missed by many.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Rest in peace Jason, a colleague and friend
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:10 pm

So sad to hear that news :( I met him a few times and found him to be a genuinely all around nice guy.
I hope RG will keep the Homebrew section as a sort of memorial for Jason. Was one of the first sections of the mag that I would read!!

Thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family.

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:37 am

I was wondering why the Homebrew section suddenly stopped last year but now I know the sad reason. I am shocked to read about Jason's long battle against COVID-19. May he rest in peace.
Homebrew was always one of my favorite parts of the magazine - Jason reviewed some genuinely original games for ancient systems throughout the years.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:52 am

I'm sorry to say the name didn't mean much to me until the news of his passing but I guess the ultimate benchmark in how well you lived your life is in how much people miss you when you go. In Jason Kelk's case, it sounds like people miss him a lot. May he RIP.

I would like to take this opportunity to draw attention to the fact that not everyone who is clinically vulnerable to Covid is able to take advantage of the vaccine(s). My mother has several auto-immune conditions and a weak immune system; even before Covid she was housebound with these conditions. She developed some complications from the first AZ dose which put her in hospital where she contracted Covid. She survived thanks to having the first dose and has developed some immunity from having had the virus but is unable to risk having the second AZ dose. There are still people who could end up in a situation like Jason's through no fault of their own.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Its weird when you hear the name of somebody you know* on the regular news.
Big loss for both his family and the retro gaming community.
(*Even if for the most part most people I know round events its usually a first name or a forum handle)
English Invader wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:52 am
I would like to take this opportunity to draw attention to the fact that not everyone who is clinically vulnerable to Covid is able to take advantage of the vaccine(s). My mother has several auto-immune conditions and a weak immune system; even before Covid she was housebound with these conditions. She developed some complications from the first AZ dose which put her in hospital where she contracted Covid. She survived thanks to having the first dose and has developed some immunity from having had the virus but is unable to risk having the second AZ dose. There are still people who could end up in a situation like Jason's through no fault of their own.
Lets not turn this into that kidna of discussion.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Really sorry to hear this.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear of Jason's death. I've followed his battle at times over the past year, when news would pop up about him. I enjoyed the RG Homebrew section for years and years, maybe 15-20 years? Years back for a while, it was the first section I would turn to because I was always curious what homebrew games others were coding up. My condolences to his family.

I wonder it might be a good idea for RG to re-purpose some of his past articles, reviews, interviews or pages into a small section of RG each month, the replace the Homebrew section for a while. Maybe even 'what happened in homebrew for a particular year' summation. I don't know, it doesn't really seem that important in the light of the bad news about the man losing his battle with covid-19 of course, but I'm just posting a thought or two about the subject.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:04 am

Really sorry that I had to read this. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 am

Really sorry to hear this news. I only met him once or twice and he was a lovely bloke, and a talented programmer himself.

The Homebrew section was always the first part of the magazine I turned to and have definitely missed it. I think it's an important part of the scene and warrants at least some coverage going forward.

tokra

Post by tokra » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:13 am

As with many others the Homebrew section always was the favourite part of the magazine for me as well. This speaks for Jason, who will be sorely missed. Hopefully you will someone who can continue the section going forward.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:16 am

There’s a piece in the sun today about Jason. I haven’t read it just letting you know.

Edit: I don’t want to get into I would never pick that paper up or anything, it’s not a debate about the paper.