Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Barry Retro

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by Barry Retro » Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 am

Yep jinxed myself! 217 was my last issue, fellow Aussies have had more recent issues show up, I am in Tassie so maybe they are stuck in Melbourne? Anyone here had anymore show up?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri May 14, 2021 6:25 am

Barry Retro wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 am
Yep jinxed myself! 217 was my last issue, fellow Aussies have had more recent issues show up, I am in Tassie so maybe they are stuck in Melbourne? Anyone here had anymore show up?
I'm in NZ, and I just had 215 and 218 show up in one week, I got 216 two months ago, and haven't ever seen 217 or 219. I get that they are sending them by surface to save on mail costs which have increased massively, but how is it that they are managing to stuff the orders of them up so badly, surely they just post them as they are published?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun May 16, 2021 9:25 am

Do any subscribers have any suggestions on this? I've been a subscriber since reading issue 1, and my sub has rolled over as they company has gone through various guises (maybe I had to re-sub at issue 19). R-Type issue has not turned up so I called the number in the mag on Friday and got through to someone at Magazines Direct assuming they'd just send me another one out... but they had no record of my subscription! It's not like I'd ordered this from some weird site or it be a gift sub or anything.

Has anyone else had this issue where when moving from My Favourite Magazines to Magazines Direct, they don't have you on the system (yet I have been paying for and receving the mag. Checking my direct deibt and the last paymnent was taken on the 13th May, and does specify Magazines Direct.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun May 16, 2021 5:54 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:25 am
Do any subscribers have any suggestions on this? I've been a subscriber since reading issue 1, and my sub has rolled over as they company has gone through various guises (maybe I had to re-sub at issue 19). R-Type issue has not turned up so I called the number in the mag on Friday and got through to someone at Magazines Direct assuming they'd just send me another one out... but they had no record of my subscription! It's not like I'd ordered this from some weird site or it be a gift sub or anything.

Has anyone else had this issue where when moving from My Favourite Magazines to Magazines Direct, they don't have you on the system (yet I have been paying for and receving the mag. Checking my direct deibt and the last paymnent was taken on the 13th May, and does specify Magazines Direct.
It would have been a much bigger surprise if the customer "service" actually had shown any semblance of helpfulness and/or competence.

I'm sure they could look up your current account if they were either, but since pretty much everyone has learned by now, Future in general and especially Magazines Direct doesn't give a f-word about customers.

I remember back when the switch happened, somehow it was posssible to active the account there even without the new account number (because that also changed from the one that was used in MFM), but no idea if you can still do that.

Otherwise, the only idea I can think of is digging up your current 8-digit account numer which is printed over the address when you receive a copy. If you still can find that e.g. from a previous issue, you might have a chance. But even then probably not, I recall someone recently writing he requested a replacement multiple time and supposedly each one got lost in the mail again...

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 am

RetroBob wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:25 am
Do any subscribers have any suggestions on this?
If you haven't already tried registering at mymagazines.co.uk then I'd give that a go at the address below:

https://www.mymagazine.co.uk/ForgotEmail

If that doesn't work, and if you've kept the paper envelope that your last issue came in, then it should have your subscription number above your name and address - it's eight digits long.

If you've binned the paper envelope for the latest issue then obviously have a look for your sub number on the next one. If you've kept the paper envelope and it doesn't have a sub number on it, and if you can't register on the website then I'd try phoning the number again and saying that you don't have your sub number to hand, and can they check your account through your name and address - that's what they do when you call them about a back issue order that hasn't arrived.

Hope some of that helps, post back if not. :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 am

Didn’t we have a letter months back where we had to register at the new site ? I did that and the subscription seemed to carry on fine

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 am

I appreciate the suggestions guys.

I do recall getting an email saying there was a switch over but didn't register at Magazines Direct - I had another subscription for a different mag that Future have since killed off, and that is the only thing that comes up when I log in.

I've not kept the envelope - everything gets shredded in this house. I did check my direct debit reference but they don't recognise that - the previous DD under with Future Publishing was my subscriber number for them at the time.

So I called them back earlier and spoke to someone who seemed more competent and went to more effort to find my sub but alas could not. He said there was another team that looks at this and might be able to help, told me to email help@magazinessubscriptions.co.uk (pleural intended), that got returned as address not found, so I tried @magainesubcriptions.co.uk and that got returned, same again (the domain on the second belongs to Dennis Publishing!). Anyhoo, I recall seeing another address on the RG Twitter, tried that... returned again, Recipient Inbox Full.

To further complicate things... I looked in to my emails in case any emails from RG have the number on, they don't... but I did get an email saying that I should renew my subscription (despite being on a rolling DD for years)... and they are still taking money anyway, the last payment was on 13th May, the usual amount.

So... not sure what to do now. I have been there right from the start and don't want to give up on RG but might not have choice.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 am

RetroBob wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 am
I've not kept the envelope - everything gets shredded in this house. I did check my direct debit reference but they don't recognise that - the previous DD under with Future Publishing was my subscriber number for them at the time.

To further complicate things... I looked in to my emails in case any emails from RG have the number on, they don't... but I did get an email saying that I should renew my subscription (despite being on a rolling DD for years)... and they are still taking money anyway, the last payment was on 13th May, the usual amount.

So... not sure what to do now. I have been there right from the start and don't want to give up on RG but might not have choice.
I think you have two options.

Firstly, hope the current issue or the next one arrives, and if so check for a subscriber number on the front of the paper envelope. If there is one you should be able to get your contact information added to the helpline's database by calling them and letting them know the sub number. When the helpline has your email address and other contact info on their system you should be able to get yourself registered on the mymagazine.co.uk website so you can order replacements there in the future if needed. Or they might just add Retro Gamer to your existing mymagazine.co.uk account.

Alternatively, phone your bank and cancel the direct debit you have with Future, and then set up a new subscription. At that point you'll be on the helpline's database as well as the distribution company's database, and you'll be able to register on mymagazine.co.uk and have the option to request replacements using that.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on. :)

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Tue May 18, 2021 2:04 pm

Let's be honest: Having read what RetroBob is currently going through, how could anyone not come to the conclusion that Future has set up its supposed customer "service" to be the exact opposite of that?

It is so unbelievably absurd that clearly his name, address, bank description and subscrition information must exist in the system, but nobody in that department can find them? You just couldn't make that up.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue May 18, 2021 2:27 pm

Somehow it seems that the first tier support really doesn't have access to much information. A while ago I made a query regarding my sub which I made around the Black Friday time last year, and which was supposed to start after my current one expires (for some stupid reason, there was no way to renew my existing one like it used to be on the old site so I had to get a new sub). I gave them plenty of information like my subscription number and still they asked if I could provide them proof of payment. "Fortunately" I had already discussed the issue last year with them to make sure I'm not missing any magazines so I just told them the ticket number which they used to find the case and track me.

Nevertheless I'm still unsure what happens once my current sub expires. I can't see the new one at mymagazine.co.uk right now.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Wed May 19, 2021 4:53 am

#219 (Treasure subscriber cover) arrived on May 17th. Looks like the shipping is back to normal! (at least for US)

Still no sign of #213 though... it looks like nobody in the US got it.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu May 20, 2021 4:29 am

Well, at least I did receive every issue so far, but what sees to qualifly as "normal shipping" to (in my case) Germany is that delivery times still do vary wildly for no apparent reason: I know a fellow subscriber living only 30-40 miles away who almost always gets his copy more than two weeks before me, except in rare cases when it's the other way round. This just makes no sense, but what does when Future is involved...

flugle

Post by flugle » Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 am

220 arrived in Australia today. Still no sign of 218 though.

Barry Retro

Post by Barry Retro » Wed May 26, 2021 7:25 am

flugle wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 am
I haven’t got 218 or 219 yet! I am in Tassie, you are doing well!

Barry Retro

Post by Barry Retro » Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 pm

flugle wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 am
In a plot twist 218 just showed! Looks like it came from somewhere different! Ah well just waiting on 219 and 220 now