Cancelling my sub

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Cancelling my sub

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:52 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:53 am
Just out of interest, seeing as no staff or even the editor can make contact with Magazines Direct, who within Future Publishing can?
This isn't technically true.
What we can't do is check subs information. We absolutely can and do speak to the people who run magazinesdirect.com. We have absolutely no control over any decisions made by the department, though.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Sabreman64 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am
flatapex wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm
The latest debacle where terms that newsstand readers get different/more content than loyal subscribers is nothing short of a shambles.
What content have newsagent buyers of the magazine received that we subscribers didn't also receive? I know that there is the Nintendo Archives 'bookazine' with the latest issue (219) which we subscribers did not receive. And I know that the retail covers are different from the subscriber covers. But what else is there? As far as freebies are concerned, we subscribers have received all the CDs, booklets, stickers and calendars which were included with retail copies in the last few years.

By the way, on the subject of Retro Gamer calendars, there have been calendars for only 2019 and 2020 in the last few years, haven't there? I was going through my mags a few days ago and those two calendars were the only ones I could find. There wasn't a 2021 calendar, was there?
Going forward anything like that will be newsstand only in the main
Attachments
1D564B68-1A0C-40D8-8D92-BA292B9911AD.jpeg
1D564B68-1A0C-40D8-8D92-BA292B9911AD.jpeg (188.53 KiB) Viewed 307 times

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Well that sucks the big one. Buyer since issue 1, subscribed since around issue 3 or 4, now kicked in the teeth.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Doesn't exactly sell the subscription...it should be the other way round! It should go without saying that a service should offer for more for subs in order to get people on board.

And I think a lot of people on this forum predicted the impending Future doom when the takeover was first announced...guess they have been vindicated. Personally, I would never give my business to a company that supplies poor customer service. In this case, it's a mighty shame as the mag is far better than said shoddy service, but rewarding bad service with continued custom doesn't encourage anybody to up their game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:34 pm
Are the digital subs tied to some horrid very specific viewer app so they can't be viewed on other systems, or otherwise terribly restricted by DRM? Any time in the past I've looked at an 'official' digital version of a mag, the viewers have been hideous unwieldy things that really didn't suit my reading requirements.
Yes. I am a subscriber on iPad, through Apple - not Future directly. Been so for soon a decade. I can as far as I know not access my mags anywhere else than through my iPad.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm

This thread is very sad to read. I've been onboard since issue 1 and subbed for more than 2 thirds of the mag's life. I have no plans to cancel anytime soon as the mag is better now than ever, but still, this makes for depressing reading. I hope the publishers are made aware of the discontent of their customers.
Thoughts and prayers.

threepwood

Post by threepwood » Tue May 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Sabreman64 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am
flatapex wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm
The latest debacle where terms that newsstand readers get different/more content than loyal subscribers is nothing short of a shambles.
What content have newsagent buyers of the magazine received that we subscribers didn't also receive? I know that there is the Nintendo Archives 'bookazine' with the latest issue (219) which we subscribers did not receive. And I know that the retail covers are different from the subscriber covers. But what else is there? As far as freebies are concerned, we subscribers have received all the CDs, booklets, stickers and calendars which were included with retail copies in the last few years.
I cancelled my subscription for this reason. There’s not really any reason to subscribe if it means you’re actually missing out on content, even if it is a reprint. While I’m certain this wouldn’t have been the intention, it very much feels like a middle finger to those who chose to subscribe to support the magazine.

I rarely receive my magazine these days before it’s available in shops, and while the pandemic has probably had some impact, I’m also a subscriber to Empire magazine which hasn’t been affected at all.

Sabreman64

Post by Sabreman64 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 pm

If any of our magazines are put on sale in the UK which contain a covermount gift or supplement you are not entitled as a subscriber to receive these covermounts or supplements. Occasionally some subscriber copies may be sent with covermounts and supplements included, however this is the exception rather than the rule. If you wish to guarantee your receipt of any covermount you should purchase an additional copy of the magazine from your local retailer.
Well, I can't say that I like the policy on gifts and supplements in Magazinedirect's terms and conditions. I'm guessing this is a new policy because (as I mentioned previously) we subscribers have received all freebies (with the exception of 219's Nintendo Archives) up till now. So now, compared with buyers of retail copies, we subscribers will be treated as second-class citizens.

ely

Post by ely » Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 am

I don't subscribe to get freebies, I do it so that the magazine gets delivered to me every month (and being in the UK it always has). Everyone is always on about not getting a yearly calendar, which suits me fine as they've always gone straight in the recycling for me, I just don't use a wall calendar.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:31 pm

I subscribe to ensure monthly delivery, but I did so with the expectation I'd be getting the same content as retail purchasers. That isn't the case any more, we're being given significantly less. We don't even get the subscription offers when it rolls over, which might at least offset these new extras.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 am

I still buy the magazine occasionally when I see it it in the Wild. Subbed for many years. I imagine the magazine industry having a really tough time at the moment.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 am

The book was a newsstand offer only.
We're currently working on a new 32-page book which will be going out to subs as usual.
I'd imagine the deal was to stimulate the newsstand because it's been suffering due to COVID. It certainly wasn't done to annoy subscribers.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 am
I'd imagine the deal was to stimulate the newsstand because it's been suffering due to COVID. It certainly wasn't done to annoy subscribers.
I don't believe for a minute anyone outside the editorial staff at Future gives even a bit about the feelings of subscribers once they have pocketed their money.

I wish Imagine was still alive... these were the golden times when receiving an issue usually just happened fine without being a pain every time and customer service was still around instead of being a massive travesty.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 19, 2021 4:21 am

Does the book being worked on for subs also going to those overseas, or UK only?

Great magazines, without doubt. Their PR service and distribution teams are absolutely shocking. It seems a shame those working so hard on producing great magazines are up against it with almost self sabotage from other departments.

Because I love the magazine(s) (RG and Imagine FX), I am trying out the online single issue purchasing again, to see if the several months away has improved things. We will see I guess.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Fri May 21, 2021 12:45 am

kiwimike wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:21 am
Great magazines, without doubt. Their PR service and distribution teams are absolutely shocking. It seems a shame those working so hard on producing great magazines are up against it with almost self sabotage from other departments.
Seconded! This is exactly how I feel as well as a long-time US subscriber.