Retro Gamer Issue 219

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Retro Gamer Issue 219

Post by merman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:44 am

COVER STORY
A Tribute To Treasure - looking back through the Japanese company’s incredible catalogue, with memories from founder Masato Maegawa. The subscriber cover is a tribute to Gunstar Heroes.

The Evolution of Miner 2049er with Bill Hogue
The Making Of Civilization II
Ultimate Guide: Silkworm
Minority Report - Mega Drive
In The Chair: Laurant Weill, founder of French company Loriciel
More Making Ofs - Atlantis (2600), Ghostbusters II, Speed Freaks (PS1), Soldier Of Fortune (PC)
From The Archives: Monolith Productions
Plus a look at the new Mortal Kombat movie, the regular columns and more...

Issue 220 on sale 13th May 2021
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

merman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 219

Post by merman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:46 am

Another month with plenty of variety, enjoyed the Treasure piece and Monolith, winced in pain at the guide to maiming people in Soldier Of Fortune and loved the Miner 2049er piece.

There is a “prequel” known as Miner 2019er on the way for C64 soon...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 pm

The Treasure stuff I've no interest in at all. Wondered what the hell the cover was all about when I saw it!

Miner 2049er was the best article for me. The Monolith one was ace too.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 am

So my copy of 219 turned up in a very thin, torn envelope with damage to the front and spine of the mag

Newsstand version comes with a 164 page guide to the house of Mario (which subscribers don’t get), so subscribers aren’t even worthy of envelopes that protect our mag but newsstand content is more than double what we get?

For those that say ‘buy it in a shop’ I invite you to visit my hometown and try and find copies of rg here.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

I've waited and hoped for a Treasure piece like this one since the mag started. Brilliantly written and with a few surprises included, too. For me, that piece is worth the subscription.
Thoughts and prayers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 pm

You can order replacement issues if damaged from here.
https://www.mymagazine.co.uk/

The polarising points about Treasure highlight how a magazine covering 40 years of gaming will never be able to please everyone. We'll keep trying though!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 pm
You can order replacement issues if damaged from here.
https://www.mymagazine.co.uk/

The polarising points about Treasure highlight how a magazine covering 40 years of gaming will never be able to please everyone. We'll keep trying though!
Issue 219 isn’t listed. Anyone missing 218 is out of luck as it’s not in stock.

Edit: 24 hours later it was listed and showed out of stock.

Any chance that the issues could be resolved by future?
1) I get they don’t want to use plastic but surely thicker paper is less likely to damage the magazine (and cause fewer replacements) while being just as recyclable?
2) any chance that if you give content to newsstand issues that humble subscribers that have paid for years could be given the same amount of content? We humbly hold out our begging bowls like Oliver Twist.
3) the website is awful, if you sent something this time last week I should be able to tell you that it is damaged, the only option is it hasn’t turned up (hence the site won’t let anyone order another)
4) distribution to physical stores is virtually non existent, it used to be awful, now it’s more like “what distribution?”

threepwood

Post by threepwood » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:51 am

flatapex wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 am
So my copy of 219 turned up in a very thin, torn envelope with damage to the front and spine of the mag

Newsstand version comes with a 164 page guide to the house of Mario (which subscribers don’t get), so subscribers aren’t even worthy of envelopes that protect our mag but newsstand content is more than double what we get?

For those that say ‘buy it in a shop’ I invite you to visit my hometown and try and find copies of rg here.
As a subscriber, I’m really disappointed to be treated as a second class customer like this. I subscribed in the first place to support RG, and ever since the change in distributor for subscriptions I’ve been plagued with problems, such as late or missed issues (which, to be fair, I’ve been able to receive replacements for)

The fact that people buying the magazine in a shop get a substantially lengthen free gift whereas long term subscribers do not is really disappointing. I’m going to cancel my subscription and buy the magazine in a shop instead. It means I’ll only pick up the issues that interest me, which will invariably mean lost money for RG. Granted, I’m one person, but I can imagine I’m the only subscriber who is disappointed at this.

One thing I will applaud, though, is the shift away from plastic coverings. I’m sorry to hear you had issues, but from an environmental point of view I welcome the change.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:03 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 pm
The Treasure stuff I've no interest in at all. Wondered what the hell the cover was all about when I saw it!
Same here. With no words on the subscriber cover had absolutely no idea what the cover was about. I suppose thats my ignorance though, not the magazines fault. Treasure article was okay, but not of great interest.
Generally an fair to good issue. Like the Ghostbusters, Civilisation, Atlantis articles and especially enjoyed the Miner 2049 one.
Didn't realise that non subscribers got an extra magazine. Seems unfair but shall not be cancelling my sub over it - mainly because I'm lazy and mean and can't be bothered to walk to a shop every month and pay more in the process.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:49 pm

International subscribers (to where I am at least), get it sent in a plastic bag still, however the main problem is they are sea-freighting it to save money, so we get magazines up to 4 months after they come out. If you then need to replace one, as they are quite unreliable in turning up, there isn't replacement stock available a lot of the time, so you have to end up trying to find it in a retail shop.

Sabreman64

Post by Sabreman64 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 pm

flatapex wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 am

I was in my local WHSmith a few days ago and saw that Nintendo 'bookazine' bundled with the latest issue. Like you, I find it annoying that subscribers don't receive this as part of their subscription. Mind you, I think the price for the mag plus 'bookazine' was £7.99, and so the issue if bought in newsagents is £3 more than regular price. Incidentally, I think the 'bookazine' was Nintendo Archives, which you can see here:

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-maga ... tion.thtml

I've cross-referenced the contents pages (provided in the online sample pages) of Nintendo Archives with the Retro Gamer page on the Park Productions site. All the content of Nintendo Archives appears to consist of reprinted articles from Retro Gamer. As I own every issue of Retro Gamer from issue 19 to 219, with the exception of (I think) issues 19 and 26, I already own all the content from Nintendo Archives. So I'm not too bothering about not owning this 'bookazine'.

As far as Retro Gamer now being delivered in paper envelopes is concerned, I'm a little concerned that when there's heavy rain on a day my copy is delivered that the paper envelope will provide no protection against the magazine getting wet. A plastic bag probably would protect the issue from rain damage. Why not use those compostable plastic wrappings instead of paper envelopes?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 am

I agree that long time subscribers dont get anything, might as well cancel the subscription and restart it go get a free gift

I know the bookazines are probably roughly all old content but thats fine as its good having all those articles compiled into one bookazine

Can see why they ditched the plastic bags, had a few issues with wet corners or light damage but i'm okay with that. Its quite rare for me personally

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am

The Target: Renegade screenshot (page 38) has been scaled differently resulting in a mix of both square and non-square pixels.