No sign of issue 217, or its replacement(s)!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sebadude

No sign of issue 217, or its replacement(s)!

Post by sebadude » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 am

Has anyone missed an issue then not received the replacement(s) either?

Issue 217 didn't arrive, I've phoned the subscriptions line three times for replacements and none of them have arrived (waiting the usual 5-7 business days between each call), so I bought a copy from the back issues section of Future's site and *that* hasn't arrived either!

Is there a problem with fulfilment at the moment, or is there a problem relating to issue 217 specifically? Issue 218 has arrived without any problems, but I have had no luck receiving 217 as yet :(

Beloud

Re: No sign of issue 217, or its replacement(s)!

Post by Beloud » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:30 am

My issue (217) arrived with the cover / first few internal paged were completely ripped off and missing, so I requested a replacement. I have sent several emails, and it's been confirmed (apparently multiple) copies have been sent to me, but not one has arrived; same excuse, "lost in the post", which is unlikely IMO. I am now at the point of cancelling my subscription because I feel I am being lied to.

The magazine is great, but the support for replacements is terrible.

Anyone else having problems?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:18 am

My issue 217 arrived in perfect condition. In all fairness to them since they’ve started using the paper envelopes mine arrive in perfect condition. I had the latest Gunstar Heroes Issue a few days ago.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 am

We've not heard of any issues with missing 217s. Are you based in the UK?

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 am

If you are UK based send me a PM with your address and I’ll post mine to you if you want.

Unless RG can confirm you can still request back issues or they sort you out directly.

Valiancentric

Post by Valiancentric » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Long time lurker who has been buying magazine for over 10 years. Registered after reading about this as exactly the same thing has happened to me.

Ordered issue 217 online - never arrived.
Replacement 217 sent - never arrived.
2nd replacement 217 sent -... still waiting!
Magazine is now sold out and if I’m honest I do not expect this issue to arrive either. I will wait a little longer though.

Definitely something strange going on as I can count on one hand the number of online orders that have gone missing (from any retailer) in the last 10 years.

Chances of the same magazine going missing twice in a row (maybe 3 times in a row)? Tiny. Really starting to wonder if replacements were ever actually sent.

Interesting issue 218 was ordered and arrived first time. This took just over 1 week.

Valiancentric

Post by Valiancentric » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 am
We've not heard of any issues with missing 217s. Are you based in the UK?
Might be worthwhile double checking with the publisher again Darren as there does seem to be a problem.
For what it is worth, K Casata and N Palmer were the customer service staff who advised me replacements were sent.

BTW, I am based in UK.

Valiancentric

Post by Valiancentric » Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 pm

For the benefit of others with the same problem, the final outcome for me was that 3rd copy of issue 217 never arrived either! (and after 3 weeks, it’s safe to say it never will).

It’s a real shame that the company behind such an excellent magazine is such a shambles. I do not believe for one second that 3 copies of the same item went missing in the post. Most likely no replacements were ever sent despite reassurances to the contrary. Really, really poor.

Over the last 12+ years, I am missing 2 issues of the magazine. Both were issues I was forced to buy online due to Covid. Both times the customer service was ridiculous.

This had taught me 2 things:
1. I will NEVER subscribe. I do not trust the company behind the magazine.
2. When it comes to the point where I can no longer find the magazine in the shops I will pack it in. Given that all the large Tescos closeby no longer carry it, this day could come sooner than I’d hoped.

Sorry about the rant. The magazine is great but the publisher/distributor (Future & MagazinesDirect) deserve to be called out on this. Looking at the various other posts on the forum I can see I’m not the only one with bad experiences. Real shame.

BTW, for comparative sake I also buy Wireframe magazine regularly online from the official site. I have NEVER had a problem with an issue going missing or not arriving quickly from them. Proof (if needed) that efficient, good service is possible in the realm of magazine publication and online distribution!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue May 11, 2021 4:37 am

I don't think they actually send out the replacements anymore, the last two I've requested never showed up, and I never got notification of them being sent either