Issue 213

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kebabinho

Re: Issue 213

Post by kebabinho » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:59 am

glad you discussed that Green Beret on the c16 was buggy. i have it as part of the 'Konami's coin-op hits' and thought there was an issue with the tape!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am
Tellah wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Is 'My Retro Life" new? More of that please. Horses for courses, but I find this interesting and relatable.

It made me think about my gameboy collecting... how it started 20 years ago, where it's going, where it's been and some of the weird, lucky and unlucky things that happened along the way... like driving to East London to meet an stranger outside a train station and swapping £100 cash for a bag of games in the middle of the night.

Maybe there's mileage in this sort of thing. I know a lot of retro tales would be along the lines of... 'i saw X game on you tube and it looked good, so i bought it off e-bay. The end'... but there might be some gold in there.
Yes it's new, as it Hot Topic.
We've been wanting to spruce up the back end of the magazine for a while so going back up to 116 pages felt like a good opportunity to do it.
The aim is to just make us a little more relatable and personable and get some insight into why we enjoy retro. Most of the upcoming articles will be collecting focused, but I'm sure we'll do other things as well.
Glad you found it interesting.

Funnily enough your anecdote reminds me of when I picked up my modded Saturn from someone. We meet in an abandoned carpark, where I picked up the system. I can only imagine how it looked to passers by :lol:
'Ere mate wanna buy a Saturn? One careful lady owner, good as new me old mucker'
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am

was another great read will 214 have a retro calendar like last year?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 am

MatOfTheDead wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am
Sadly not. We had to cancel it due to the second lockdown.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:23 am

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 am
MatOfTheDead wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am
Sadly not. We had to cancel it due to the second lockdown.
thats a shame but understandable

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am

You can have my EDGE one if you like?

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 am

I'm very late to the party but I wanted to say how much stuff I enjoyed in issue 213. Nice one Crooksey for the Parappa piece and Martyn C for introducing me to the joys of POW-ploitation. Highlight was Owen's fascinating article on St. Bride's. Proper retro investigative journalism, that. Cheers.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:19 am

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am
Tellah wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Is 'My Retro Life" new? More of that please. Horses for courses, but I find this interesting and relatable.

It made me think about my gameboy collecting... how it started 20 years ago, where it's going, where it's been and some of the weird, lucky and unlucky things that happened along the way... like driving to East London to meet an stranger outside a train station and swapping £100 cash for a bag of games in the middle of the night.

Maybe there's mileage in this sort of thing. I know a lot of retro tales would be along the lines of... 'i saw X game on you tube and it looked good, so i bought it off e-bay. The end'... but there might be some gold in there.
Yes it's new, as it Hot Topic.
We've been wanting to spruce up the back end of the magazine for a while so going back up to 116 pages felt like a good opportunity to do it.
The aim is to just make us a little more relatable and personable and get some insight into why we enjoy retro. Most of the upcoming articles will be collecting focused, but I'm sure we'll do other things as well.
Glad you found it interesting.

Funnily enough your anecdote reminds me of when I picked up my modded Saturn from someone. We meet in an abandoned carpark, where I picked up the system. I can only imagine how it looked to passers by :lol:
I like that new stuff too, including the way it was all laid out (or whatever the publishing term is) at the end.
Xbox Live: RetroBob