Retro Gamer - Issue 202

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Retro Gamer - Issue 202

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm

Had this a few days now and surprised nothing has been posted here yet!

Star Wars subs cover is..... ok.

Contents:
Making of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - MOST EXCELLENT! Terrific game.
Ultimate Guide to Twin Cobra - Not my type of game. Will read later.
Digital Destinations: Looking at gaming locations. - Actually quite enjoyed this :)
In the Chair with some bloke called Big Boy Barry!!! Who the actual F#ck is this twit?
The making of Bactron - looks interesting.
From the Archives: Arc Systems - No interest in this
Making of Ghost Hunters - There seems to be a bit of an overload with Amstrad this month. The 3 owners must be over the moon! :lol:
Ultimate Guide: Street Racer - Mev Dinc and Alister Brimble.... what's not to like?
The History of Warlords - AWESOME!

And more.

Not the best issue of recent times but a few things to keep me happy.

ivarf

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 202

Post by ivarf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm
Warlords 3 - Darklords Rising was my favorite. Great for up to 8 players through email play. Warlords 4 was a real downer after the great Darklords. So simple and boring in comparison. Still waiting for Darklords to be ported to my CPC :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Had this a few days now and surprised nothing has been posted here yet!

Star Wars subs cover is..... ok.

Contents:
Making of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - MOST EXCELLENT! Terrific game.
Ultimate Guide to Twin Cobra - Not my type of game. Will read later.
Digital Destinations: Looking at gaming locations. - Actually quite enjoyed this :)
In the Chair with some bloke called Big Boy Barry!!! Who the actual F#ck is this twit?
The making of Bactron - looks interesting.
From the Archives: Arc Systems - No interest in this
Making of Ghost Hunters - There seems to be a bit of an overload with Amstrad this month. The 3 owners must be over the moon! :lol:
Ultimate Guide: Street Racer - Mev Dinc and Alister Brimble.... what's not to like?

And more.

Not the best issue of recent times but a few things to keep me happy.
Big Boy Barry was a Videator on Gamesworld (Sky's version of Gamesmaster) . He also did some comedy stuff with a before-he-was-famous David Walliams. Remember seeing him once at a retro gaming event, and he seemed like a nice bloke.

Personally I much preferred Gamesworld to Gamesmaster, but I seem to be in the minority here!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ely

Post by ely » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm
Personally I much preferred Gamesworld to Gamesmaster, but I seem to be in the minority here!
Being on Sky (which I and many other people probably didn't have back then) probably skews those figures to be honest. I had no idea who Big Boy Barry was even though I've been a gamer since the late 70s.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 am

ely wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm
Being crap probably skews those figures to be honest. I had no idea who Big Boy Barry was even though I've been a gamer since the late 70s.
Fixed that for you.

It's a terrible show, I always cringed when it was on, and that wasn't often as I found it largely unwatchable. Imagine a dumbed down Gamesmaster with added cheese and any adult overtones removed and you're nearly there.

They did have The Games Mistress though, but even that couldn't save it for me.

I really hated this show, it just reinforced the stereotypes of gaming being for kids and not worthy of proper coverage, even after 10-20 years of us growing up with them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 am

Good stuff, particularly Arc System Works and the Street Racer piece. Enjoyed Graeme's piece on KOTOR, but to my shame it remains on my unplayed pile...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 am

I was looking at the prices for Toaplan Shooting Battle for PlayStation on eBay after reading the Twin Cobra piece... those prices man :(

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Did you know that the total sales of Amstrad CPCs were close to that of the Amigas and Atari STs?

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm

ivarf wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Did you know that the total sales of Amstrad CPCs were close to that of the Amigas and Atari STs?
Are you talking about the main gaming CPC 464 that was in competition with the C64 and Speccy? All I can find is around 2 million units sold (17 million C64's and 5 Million Speccy's - along with 6 million Amiga 500's)...

Or are you referring to all the various Amstrad computers?

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm
ivarf wrote:
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Are you talking about the main gaming CPC 464 that was in competition with the C64 and Speccy? All I can find is around 2 million units sold (17 million C64's and 5 Million Speccy's - along with 6 million Amiga 500's)...

According to amstrad.com, 3 million Amstrad CPCs were sold. The numbers I have seen for Atari STs and the Amiga series(all Amigas) are 4-5 million machines. The total number of other Amstrad computers sold are irellevant in this context. (8 million Amstrad PCWs and 12 million Amstrad PCs)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:00 pm

ivarf wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
ivarf wrote:

According to amstrad.com, 3 million Amstrad CPCs were sold. The numbers I have seen for Atari STs and the Amiga series(all Amigas) are 4-5 million machines. The total number of other Amstrad computers sold are irellevant in this context. (8 million Amstrad PCWs and 12 million Amstrad PCs)
Hmmmm, I wonder if there are any official figures? I know I may take the P out of the Amstrad, but that's really only banter. BUT I'd be horrified to find out the CPC sold as many units as the Amiga! Maybe the ST...

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:00 pm
ivarf wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder if there are any official figures? I know I may take the P out of the Amstrad, but that's really only banter. BUT I'd be horrified to find out the CPC sold as many units as the Amiga! Maybe the ST...
I was a surprised too the first time I saw the low sales numbers for Atari ST and Amigas. BTW, have you seen any sales numbers for Amstrad made Spectrums compared to the Sinclair made Spectrums? Those numbers are unknown to me. Even the Atari 8-bit range of computers are close to the Amiga/ST numbers.