Retro Gamer - Issue 200

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DRS

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 200

Post by DRS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm

ely wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am
DRS wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 am
The comments by Ely on interviewing Matt Smith about a difficult time in his life are fair, though. As you can perhaps detect in the opening of that piece, I am honest at how uncomfortable I felt at times. I have known Matt since 2004 and been up to see him in Liverpool 7 times since then, sometimes to do interviews, sometimes just to say hello and drink (not always Absinthe, I promise) and he's stayed at mine in Nottingham. He is a really nice bloke and a friend... and you don't want to make a friend miserable. But he does share his story willingly and does have a real turn of phrase - next issue, there'll be the complete '60 room tour' of JSW and he comes out with some great quips. And he was grinning and laughing, even as he cursed some of the people and happenings from back then.
This is good to hear. As I said in the comment, although it seemed like he was less than happy to talk about that time we as readers couldn't see how he was when telling the stories.

Looking forward to the 60 room tour next issue :)
Cheers Ely - and yup, hope the epic 60 room tour makes you smile. Absinthe features again. Obvs.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm

1975: The game was called "Moria" was it not? (EDIT: And I got it wrong myself ironically enough)
1979 November: Atari "400 or 800, the former sports a membrane keyboard" fixed that for you

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am

DRS your interview with Mathew Smith was superb and I can very much related to Mathew. I think a lot of people have rose tinted glasses to bedroom programmers whilst Matt says it’s not really as good as people think. Chasing publishers to get payed. One of the best issues I read In a long time.

I think the Chris Eubank Turrican music cd is going make this a very expensive issue to acquire in the future
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:07 am

Shinobi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am
DRS your interview with Mathew Smith was superb and I can very much related to Mathew. I think a lot of people have rose tinted glasses to bedroom programmers whilst Matt says it’s not really as good as people think. Chasing publishers to get payed. One of the best issues I read In a long time.

I think the Chris Eubank Turrican music cd is going make this a very expensive issue to acquire in the future
Cheers Shinobi - glad it made you smile. And I can't work out if your reference to Eubank is a typo or comedy genius - either way it made me smile too!

merman

Post by merman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 am

DRS wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:07 am
Shinobi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am

Cheers Shinobi - glad it made you smile. And I can't work out if your reference to Eubank is a typo or comedy genius - either way it made me smile too!
I am now imagining Chris Eubank doing the intro speech to the original Turrican.
"Anuffer day, anuffer crime, but remember... Thoot or die" :lol: :lol: :lol:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:19 am

Finally finished reading it cover to cover. Best issue for a very long time. Well done all.

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am

Well, I've had a little butchers through it and I think it is good enough for a sit down.

The danger with doing a look through the decades is that you CAN glide too close to things that have been done to death in specials and older issues, which is understandable. I'm lucky in the fact I haven't really grabbed a retro mag in quite a while, so it is good to get a proper look at things again.

Mainly though, I'm just happy that the mag has gotten to 200 issues.
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Well, I've had a great week! My Zzap 64 annual turned up, with all the perks. My wife surprised me with ticket to the Bootleg Beatles tribute band last night. And they were brilliant. And this morning (Sat) the issue 200 popped into the letterbox.

I've only flicked through it, it will get a decent viewing over the next week. But it seems an outstanding issue, and a fitting way to celebrate issue #200. The CD was a great surprise, I had expected it since it was mentioned in this topic, but wasn't sure if it would be included. So will give that a bit of a listen later as well.

Anyway, looks terrific with an enjoyable overview of games history

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:20 pm

I've just got to the 2000s in the mag now, really a magnificent issue. :)

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 am

It's the first time I've spent 20 minutes looking at a magazine cover...then more when I realised the image was the poster too.

I'm enjoying the issue so far, and it looks like one I'll read from cover to cover. I'm looking forward to the bedroom coders and gaming magazine issues.

BenyoBoy

Post by BenyoBoy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 pm

I just received Issue 200 and I've seen that there's a regular and a collector's edition of Issue 200. Is there any difference between the two? I couldn't find it by myself. :(

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Fantastic issue, starting to look more in depth now- you guys have totally outdone yourselves celebrating the #200, an outstanding issue.

Now the Fusion annual has arrived so I'm set for retro reading until the NY!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 am

BenyoBoy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 pm
I just received Issue 200 and I've seen that there's a regular and a collector's edition of Issue 200. Is there any difference between the two? I couldn't find it by myself. :(
It's very minimal. There's just a sky bar at the top of the newsstand issue.

BenyoBoy

Post by BenyoBoy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:22 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 am
It's very minimal. There's just a sky bar at the top of the newsstand issue.
Oh, that is indeed very minimal. Thank you very much for the answer and congrats on the 200th Issue, I loved it!

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Congratulations Darran and the rest of the Retro gamer team on reaching 200 issues. Been a reader since issue 1 and have been a regular subscriber for a few years now.
Wow! Where has the time gone.
Keep up the good work and long may you continue.