Retro Gamer - Issue 195

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Retro Gamer - Issue 195

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Nice subscription cover, also comes with a sheet of stickers and a mini book reviewing Konami games

50 years of Konami - looks great
Daffy Duck and the Great Paint Caper
Ultimate guide to Solomons Key
Making of Robocop 2
Making of Amiga Power
The Making of Us vs Them
Ultimate Guide - Contra III
Ultimate guide - G-Lock Air Battle
Running with Scissors
History of Spiderman
WarGroove - Retroinspired

Good issues for me this month

Solegor

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 195

Post by Solegor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 am

Can you please attach the picture of the sub cover and overall view on stickers and mini book?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 am

A overall view on stickers. Worthless tat that has no place with RG, the subscribers are not 7 years old.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 am
A overall view on stickers. Worthless tat that has no place with RG, the subscribers are not 7 years old.
I gave them to my 10yr old daughter. No doubt I'll find them stuck on things all over the house later!

ely

Post by ely » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 am

Yeah I agree re: Stickers. Much as I like the thought of giving free stuff away I personally have no use for them.

I'm enjoying this issue though, history of Konami told me a ton of stuff I didn't know. I played Solomen's Key on the ST back in the day but never knew that much about it really so good to the low down on that. And I love anything about games that never got released so the Daffy Duck C64 game article was also right in my wheelhouse. Only thing missing this issue is a big interview really.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 am

Actually, really enjoying this issue. So far Robocop 2 and Amiga power articles read... Both great reads. :)

BUT what are the chances of having a 'making of' the best Amiga mag ever produced? (obviously The One Amiga) ;)

ely

Post by ely » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:54 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 am
BUT what are the chances of having a 'making of' the best Amiga mag ever produced? (obviously The One Amiga) ;)
It was so good I used to buy it and I didn't own an Amiga!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Super edition and loved the making of amiga power feature , right down to the paper colour and style used , top stuff !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:57 am

Have to agree with the stickers...I have no use for them.

I get worried when magazine keeps slamming things for free with the magazine....

I lived through the latter years of Crash man....I saw things man.....it was scary.....it was all about the covertapes and then ........no more Crash

I would hate to see this happen to RG. The content of the magazine is perfect for me. The articles I have no interest in are simply left. I don't really care what `freebies` are included...I would much prefer a single magazine, if there is enough content for a free pamphlet then just put it in the magazine...

it must cost more to produce these little things...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:18 pm

I cant believe anything bads gonna happen. Stuff with the stickers some people will love some wont, only have to go to a retro show to see how varied many fans are !!!

Everytime theres something to plug like the Komami 25 years thingie you often get an extra supplement or that. Can see why that happened. Good issue this month, roll on the countdown to issue 200. Mentioned it before, only seemed like it was yesterday getting issue 100 !!!

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 am

Note re: the stickers.

Don’t like them? Fine throw them away. Bitching on here about a small sheet of free stickers? Jesus wept.

Did you pay an extra 50p on the cover price for them? No.
Is there ten pages less in the magazine because of them? No.

I didn’t find the latest music cd they gave much use but it was free and how the feck can I have the audacity to moan about something that’s free?

Get a grip people, getting all salty over an A5 page of free stickers.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 am

Hardly bitching about it, just highlighting that for the target audience, few will find it an attractive freebie. At least with the music there's a certain audience for it, but how many adults are going to take joy from a sheet of stickers? My CD is in the car and I pop it in every now and then, along with some other game soundtrack CDs I have.

There's that weird OCDish 'mint condition' thing with our lot too. There'll be those who don't want to 'spoil' the freebie by peeling off the stickers and using them, so they end up with a sheet of stickers they can't use as it'll break the condition of the mag and its parts.

If you like them, great, they hit the mark, but so far nobody has come in to say they're loving them and they appreciate the gift.

Perhaps it was a marketing thing and they were paid for as an 'ad' of sorts? I can see that being a thing, and any support for the mag is good. As an editorial choice, not so much.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am

I think it's a sample size problem - if you base everything on the reactions here, you get a distorted view of what people do and don't respond to. But less than an hour ago, we got this tweet showing someone who clearly likes them, as you can see stickers from our Konami and SNK sheets on his laptop. Looking back through yesterday's tweets, I see one person who thinks they're for ten year olds and therefore rubbish, followed by another who wants an SVG sheet with the digital edition so he can print his own. The person after that wants us to do an annual sticker book, and the next person has thanked us for the stickers because his kid loves them.

So yes, looking at the broader picture changes things - especially since there's information you guys can't see, such as feedback via private channels (emails and letters) and confidential business data (sales figures and other trifling details).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am

Fair enough Nick, if there are adults out there enjoying them, no more to be said. Not for me, but you can't please everyone.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am

It surprised me too, to be fair. I wasn't convinced stickers were a good idea when they were first suggested last year, as I also thought they weren't right for the target age group. The reception to them quickly proved me wrong.