Neo Geo Mini Review in issue 188

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sega_MegaDive

Neo Geo Mini Review in issue 188

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Just read the review for the Neo Geo mini and im really surprised reading about Nicks disappointment in the machine when hooked up to a TV. Either he is overly fussy or his TV is dodgey because I think it looks absolutley brilliant on my TV.

I agree with you about the lack of variety of games but it's a Neo Geo, what do we expect? I've had hours of fun on mine since getting it and I would have missed out on a great little console if I had waited until reading this review before deciding whether or not to part with my cash.

It is brilliant fun I think but each to their own. Id say to anyone to make sure you buy the controllers as its not really meant to be played using the onboard controls...thats obvious once you use it. And like I said its even better hooked up to a big screen TV.

NickThorpe

Re: Neo Geo Mini Review in issue 188

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm

First off, I'm glad you're enjoying the machine. It wasn't for me, for the reasons I mentioned in the review, but the games themselves are great and I'm pleased more people are enjoying them. I'm a fan of SNK's games in general, and particularly the Neo Geo - I bought and repaired an MVS board and have a small but growing collection of cartridges.

I've uploaded all the screens I took for the review to this gallery. As you can see, the menus are sharp so the problem isn't the capture card or my display - the games just have considerable blurring applied. I'm definitely fussy when it comes to technical quality (frame rates, image sharpness, input lag, etc), but I think that's fair in a review. Some of our readers are also fussy about those things, and if I spot something that I think is a problem then they deserve to know about it.

Of course, you might prefer the blurred look, and that's fine. These things are subjective after all. But when offering a choice of visual filters as the Neo Geo Mini does, it should be between a sharp image and a soft image, not a soft image and an even softer image. Other comparable devices such as the NES Mini and SNES Mini give you this option, so it's not an unreasonable expectation - especially for a console that clocks in at £150 or more once you add a controller and mini HDMI cable. The PlayStation Classic gives you no choice at all, so that's coming in for some criticism next issue too.

I'll continue to mention these issues where I find them, but it's definitely worth bearing in mind that I'm quite picky when reading future reviews.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Ive got to admit the photos you uploaded do indeed look blurry especially on Blues journey. This isnt how they appear on my screen. It makes me wonder what the hecks going on because if my screen looked like those images Id be looking my money back on a crap product.

Im using the international version which I believe youre using too ? Anyway somethings definitely not right and its either the machine itself, the cable or the TV.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:27 am

We tried both the international model and the Japanese model, on different TV sets (our video capture device is broken, so I had to do screenshots at home). Having had a look at other reviews, they also complained about image quality, and the menus came out sharp with no problem so I think everything is working as intended. Unless they've done a minor revision to fix up the video quality, I can only guess that your TV is really good.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am

Don't let Nick review the PlayStation mini :shock: :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Too late, they already let me have at it. Here's a gallery. Some of the games look better than others because they originally ran at a higher resolution - Tekken 3 comes out way better than Jumping Flash, for example.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 am

Yeah but anyway ps classics mini has a wild mix of 50hz and 60 Hz games, stutter and performance problems on most games, scaling issues on some games and so on.
You can check Digital Foundry video for details. But long story short - it's a mess.