Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Re: Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Would it be dificult for RG to give subscribers the choice of two covers? Maybe with a vote on the website, and/or a poll on social networking sites? I don't see any detriment here, short of a cover designer having to come up with more than one design; but then again surely they do this anyway and a decision is made, possibly by the ed, which to go with. Would be nice for subscribers to get a choice in what cover they're going to get.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm
Would it be dificult for RG to give subscribers the choice of two covers? Maybe with a vote on the website, and/or a poll on social networking sites? I don't see any detriment here, short of a cover designer having to come up with more than one design; but then again surely they do this anyway and a decision is made, possibly by the ed, which to go with. Would be nice for subscribers to get a choice in what cover they're going to get.
Nice idea, but I imagine it would be a logistical nightmare and an open invitation to scores of emails along the lines of "I voted for the other cover, and got the wrong one, I am cancelling my sub and completely reassessing my life!" and so on, so it wouldn't really solve the matter
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Voting or doing surveys for content is a bad idea - the people who hang around on the forum are not representative of the general population of the mag. Even just looking at the difference in feedback between these Forums and the Facebook page make that pretty obvious.

The best indication of whether they are getting things right or not is the sales figures for the mag. If sales are increasing or are healthy, then thats a pretty good indicator that they're doing things right. 5 guys complaining about subscriber covers every month isn't a good indicator.

The great example of it is the Christmas themed covers - they get mentioned every year in the forums, but they resulted in weaker sales of the mag.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 pm

antsbull wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:23 pm
Voting or doing surveys for content is a bad idea - the people who hang around on the forum are not representative of the general population of the mag. Even just looking at the difference in feedback between these Forums and the Facebook page make that pretty obvious.

The best indication of whether they are getting things right or not is the sales figures for the mag. If sales are increasing or are healthy, then thats a pretty good indicator that they're doing things right. 5 guys complaining about subscriber covers every month isn't a good indicator.

The great example of it is the Christmas themed covers - they get mentioned every year in the forums, but they resulted in weaker sales of the mag.
Yeah, that's probably fair and valid points.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 pm

In my opinion they should just go back to using the same retail cover for subs issues. The ‘special’ sub covers aren’t great.

I cancelled my sub after the best part of 10 years last month and have just gone back to getting the retail edition.
I understand for many the editorial content is the only interest and I’m likely in a small minority who collect the mag and prefer the iconography and art on the normal covers.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 pm
In my opinion they should just go back to using the same retail cover for subs issues. The ‘special’ sub covers aren’t great.

I cancelled my sub after the best part of 10 years last month and have just gone back to getting the retail edition.
I understand for many the editorial content is the only interest and I’m likely in a small minority who collect the mag and prefer the iconography and art on the normal covers.
Yeah, your not alone, as I don't find those covers that great, and have only really truly liked one, with a few others being OK. For me to buy these at retail really just cost to much, so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation for me. It's beyond apparent that whomever came up with this idea could care less if a subscriber wanted it or not, as no choice was given before hand, and no one seems to care after the fact.

Sadly, after dealing with customer service here at Future several times since they took over, a HUGE pattern of poor service is beyond apparent. The fact that no one regularly visits these forums to address paying customers problems anymore says it all. I always find it amazing that when you leave a negative review where potential new customers may see it and have an issue, companies can't do enough for you. But when it comes to long term customers who make your product possible, they could care less about any or all situations.

As I've stated before, I recently had some issues with an order, and for the life of me, I couldn't get any meaningful replies from CS. Within minutes of leaving a negative review online, I was reached out to by someone at Future, and got actual answers and help with my problems. It's funny how that worked right? They already have the funds of customers here, so who cares if something isn't liked, or if there is a some issue with service or product quality? But let me paint a negative picture to the next person waiting in line, and I couldn't get more done more often, and sadly that says it all. If I'm going to paint a picture of my truth, they want to help me as fast as possible, but have a problem that doesn't really play a part in profits, oh well, better luck next time.

EDIT: On a side note, the subscriber cover for the latest issue #187 I believe, is hands down my least favorite yet, and I really love the retail cover. So if anyone is reading this, please go back to one cover for all, or at least give a choice, as these special covers really are NOTHING special at all(very much the opposite IMO).

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:54 pm

I think you will find that the majority including me are quite happy with the magazine's paper quality. I haven't noticed smears, papers sticking together or anything like that.Rarely, some articles can strain your eyes but that is not a paper quality issue but an art editor's bad choice of text being on background unsuited for reading. The magazine is absolutely fine imo.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:54 pm
I think you will find that the majority including me are quite happy with the magazine's paper quality. I haven't noticed smears, papers sticking together or anything like that.Rarely, some articles can strain your eyes but that is not a paper quality issue but an art editor's bad choice of text being on background unsuited for reading. The magazine is absolutely fine imo.
Same here. No problems.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:54 pm
It's none of those... it's the thickness and feel of the paper.
XBL: RetroBob
Wii U: RetroBob
PSN: RetroBobUK
3DS: 0232 8156 8633
Feel free to add me!

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

This is exactly it, the paper thickness on the new magazines is rubbish. If you go back about 5 issues say you can tell the difference.
I have had a bad copy of my magazine as mentioned with ink smear so articles can't be read. This is not a water damage thing as it is ink smeared at the print source as you can tell it was done on the printing machine.
My newest magazine which has just come through the post is also damaged with the bottom part of the spine about an inch up having a big cut into it right through the magazine to all pages and I have had to buy a new copy from the shop!

I am happy that a lot of people are having no issues with your magazine but mine are regularly having problems which are becoming too often to be a coincidence I am afraid.

A lot of retro gamers are collectors and also collect the magazine. Won't last over time with this quality is all I am saying and appears to be cost cutting.

Regarding the magazine cover this is so simple to sort out to have distinctive covers for subscribers and to have the shop cover too!
All you have to do is print the normal cover on the front and print the subscriber cover on the back upside down like they do on some issues.
Simple! Both covers on the magazine with special subscriber copy and everyone is happy! Simplez as the meerkat says!

[EDIT]

Feel free to chip in at any point Retro Gamer / Future Publishing as I see nothing from you. I can supply pictures of the poor quality of my last 2 magazines and would welcome 2 new magazines sending to me with no damage which is what I paid for I think.

Thanks

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:22 pm

SpecTrePaul wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm
Feel free to chip in at any point Retro Gamer / Future Publishing as I see nothing from you. I can supply pictures of the poor quality of my last 2 magazines and would welcome 2 new magazines sending to me with no damage which is what I paid for I think.

Thanks
Save yourself the time and effort, as customer service anywhere in these forums was sketchy at best a year ago, and now it's non existent. I had an issue awhile back with an order, and tried to get "Mark" here to help, only to have Darran tell me he was no longer here. So he was supposed to look in to the matter, as I would think having a presence in a forum would be key to support, but I never heard back from anyone, and took that as "yeah, we really don't care" as it appeared to be.

The best I can recommend to anyone here who is having problems/issues and don't feel like they are getting the proper response or acknowledgment is to leave a review on their site using the Feefo service. I'm not sure if you can leave a review with out having purchased an item recently, as the review I left was for a recent order, and I got an email asking me to leave a review, so I did(using the link provided). Within a few hours of my 1 star review I was contacted by someone and was respected as the paying customer I was. After my first contact, and little resolve over a few more weeks, I update my review again(negative again), and was contacted again within 24 hours.

It's funny how that played out, as no one can come here and be bothered with issues or concerns of paying customers, but leave a review some place that effects potential new customers, and I couldn't get service fast enough. So long story short, I ended up getting a refund for my long over due order(and laundry list of excuses), along with an apology that seemed heartfelt, but who knows? I doubt anything can or will be done in regards to the paper quality, as I'm sure that's a cost saving measure, but a review stating you don't like the current offerings compared to the old, may at least get you someone who may at least comment to you in regards to why it happened. And if enough people leave a negative review about it, it may get changed in time, as that would effect potential new buyers seeing said reviews.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Jesus, would you like the next issue delivered by a first class chef, with a meal consisting of lobster & the finest caviar known to man.
You two are the type of snobs who examine the magazine with a microscope. "Oh look darling, there's a 0.0002mm smear on the left side of Mario's cheek if you look hard enough with the microscope, I better leave another negative review as this isn't perfection at all. I hope Retro Gamer is destroyed for this!!!"

Why is it that in all my years of being a subscriber and thousands of others like me, We have never seen smears and tiny tears, etc etc. Its because we don't bloody examine every page expecting perfection. We just get on with reading it and then anticipate the next issue! This is why Darren can't be bothered talking to you because you are what I like to call a fussy client. In my line of work, fussy clients who expect nothing but perfection are killing the fun and enjoyment of what I do and I bet Darren feels the same about you. The bloody iphone, ipad and imac have a-lot to answer for as they have created the fussy generation who expect everything to look as well crafted as their appliances. Hello, they were created by machines, not hand-crafted!!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm

SpecTrePaul wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm
This is exactly it, the paper thickness on the new magazines is rubbish. If you go back about 5 issues say you can tell the difference.
I have had a bad copy of my magazine as mentioned with ink smear so articles can't be read. This is not a water damage thing as it is ink smeared at the print source as you can tell it was done on the printing machine.
My newest magazine which has just come through the post is also damaged with the bottom part of the spine about an inch up having a big cut into it right through the magazine to all pages and I have had to buy a new copy from the shop!

I am happy that a lot of people are having no issues with your magazine but mine are regularly having problems which are becoming too often to be a coincidence I am afraid.

A lot of retro gamers are collectors and also collect the magazine. Won't last over time with this quality is all I am saying and appears to be cost cutting.

Regarding the magazine cover this is so simple to sort out to have distinctive covers for subscribers and to have the shop cover too!
All you have to do is print the normal cover on the front and print the subscriber cover on the back upside down like they do on some issues.
Simple! Both covers on the magazine with special subscriber copy and everyone is happy! Simplez as the meerkat says!

[EDIT]

Thanks
Sorry to hear you're having issues with your sub.
This is the contact address you need.
contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk

Regards,
Darran

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm

@Darren, thanks for the email address. I will address my issue there.
Jesus, would you like the next issue delivered by a first class chef, with a meal consisting of lobster & the finest caviar known to man.
You two are the type of snobs who examine the magazine with a microscope. "Oh look darling, there's a 0.0002mm smear on the left side of Mario's cheek if you look hard enough with the microscope, I better leave another negative review as this isn't perfection at all. I hope Retro Gamer is destroyed for this!!!"

Why is it that in all my years of being a subscriber and thousands of others like me, We have never seen smears and tiny tears, etc etc. Its because we don't bloody examine every page expecting perfection. We just get on with reading it and then anticipate the next issue! This is why Darren can't be bothered talking to you because you are what I like to call a fussy client. In my line of work, fussy clients who expect nothing but perfection are killing the fun and enjoyment of what I do and I bet Darren feels the same about you. The bloody iphone, ipad and imac have a-lot to answer for as they have created the fussy generation who expect everything to look as well crafted as their appliances. Hello, they were created by machines, not hand-crafted!!
Have you calmed down now!?
I am sure these forums are not the place for angry people like yourself. If you can't contain yourself when writing then I suggest you don't bother. I am not some snotty nosed little kid you are talking to so have a little respect on here.
All I am doing is pointing out some issues I have had and looking for some answers, not asking for some foul mouthed response from some low life neanderthal.

If you actually read what I wrote then you would have realised it is not some slight smudge to Mario's cheek and is in fact large ink smears that I can not read some of the articles and again a little tear you mention I described as a big cut damaging the magazine. So before you open your mouth then at least get your facts correct.

I am sure any i-machine made by Apple has nothing to do with this, in the same way that a Ferrari also has nothing to do with the magazine and picky people. I am not picky, just want a good quality magazine which is what I am used to, having been a subscriber for many, many years and in fact this is the first time I have noticed problems in all this time too as Retro Gamer is a quality magazine.

Show me where I mention I want to destroy the magazine or want perfection!? Dear me you obviously don't get out much if you can't read a forum post correctly.

So if perfection is killing what you do, then what is it that you actually do? You clearly seem to have some problem other than my post for a response like this.

So next time I post I will have you in mind and make sure I carefully read every word and make sure I, god forbid, wouldn't have free speech or spoil your fun.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JfMs3 ... WXEMGELHRw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zuhYN ... JO-7nwR3TK

Just a couple of images to show some of the 0.0002mm print smears for Mario's slight smudge to his cheek!
Funnily enough, one of the images is from the collectors corner, as yes people who buy this magazine do collect.

Question, does this make the magazine more collectable? :)

There are many more smudges to the magazine print but just thought I would show a couple as obviously some people can't read the post correctly and would prefer pictures. Maybe this is why you can't notice any quality issues? If you can't read this forum post, maybe you can't read the magazine?

Thanks.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:26 pm

@Ryan at @SpecTrePaul
Please let's keep all this civil.