Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

czechrover

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by czechrover » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Still no 179 here in Czech Republic. So that's 23 days after issue and obviously no post over the weekend so that's 25 days at least.

It's so disappointing.

How do subscribers in India, USA and New Zealand get their issue before Germany and Czech Republic!?

Why don't they just add an option for faster postage?

I hate reading electronic magazines but sadly they are leaving me with no choice as I don't want to read the mag a month after release. I'm just gonna have to give it up and pay £7.99 a month for a readly subscription.

simke

Post by simke » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:12 am

My issue 179 arrived yesterday, 13/4, to Brisbane, Australia.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 am

179 arrived today, 16th April, Melbourne, AU
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 am

Still waiting for 179 in Finland.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 am

Also still waiting for 179 in Germany, sadly to nig big surprise.

So that'll be the second issue after 177 that will arrive (if it eventually does) when the next one is already on sale - so the relative "speed" of 178 (three weeks) was just a blib then.

For comparison: The current issue of Edge took just two weeks and a single copy of 178 I ordered for a friend took just 4 days (!) from dispatch to delivery around the beginning of April.

Something is badly wrong with subscritpion delivery in mainland Europe when places like Australia and India get their copy (much) sooner. But unfortunately we all know this for months now and nothing seems to be done about it from Future :(

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Boulder wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 am
Still waiting for 179 in Finland.
Ok, seems like I need to start complaining earlier as the magazine appeared today in my mailbox. Still a very poor performance, how can it take four weeks to travel across Europe? Just wait for Brexit..

Barbarian

Post by Barbarian » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 am

It's been 4 weeks now since issue 179 hit the shelves and the subs department is still unable to ship from UK to Germany. This is ridiculous.
Cancelling my sub is just a matter of time I'm afraid. I feel like taken for a ride...

czechrover

Post by czechrover » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

179 finally arrived in Czech Republic today. A month after issue.

I noticed the 'š' in my towns name was '#' on the package. Maybe that slowed it down. Maybe they are just rubbish.

At least I have it 🙄

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Incredible! It is a MIRACLE! Issue 180 arrived TODAY!!!

oh... ok, I am in the UK now.

By the way, until last weekend (april 15th) still no sign f issue 179 at home in Italy.

As for the side-topic about paper vs electronic RG, I need paper. If it was electronic, I might buy it, but I won't probably read it. It is just that I forget about electronic books and magazines.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am

Oh, hey... semms like it's finally Germany's turn, as issue #179 is starting tu turn up here - got my copy today (again routed through Hungary as "standard", while Edge is "priority" and takes half the time), so based on previous experiences, it should show up for others as well.

Is there some sort of inverse rule at Future that means the closer you are to the UK geographically, the longer it will take to arrive?

So for issues released in 2018 so far, this is how long it took to reach Germany from the UK on sale date:

#177 - 33 days
#178 - 21 days
#179 - 30 days

Based on this, the chances to receive the just-released new issue before UK subscribers already have the next one seem pretty slim.

I guess Future feels like we should be glad that they issues arrive at all, which they at least seem to do (just so veeery late!). I certainly don't see any signs that things are improving, which is a sad state of affairs.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am
I guess Future feels like we should be glad that they issues arrive at all, which they at least seem to do (just so veeery late!). I certainly don't see any signs that things are improving, which is a sad state of affairs.
Fortunately the magazine doesn't get old even though it arrives very late. But it's still not an excuse - and I'm not very happy about the fact that no one from the subscriptions department is taking part in this discussion. After all, getting the magazines to the readers as fast as possible should be a top priority.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Boulder wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am
Fortunately the magazine doesn't get old even though it arrives very late. But it's still not an excuse - and I'm not very happy about the fact that no one from the subscriptions department is taking part in this discussion. After all, getting the magazines to the readers as fast as possible should be a top priority.
Agreed on all parts. I actually had some helpful responses from the people behind the "subscriptions" account until late last year when delivery times still were somewhat reasonable, but it's been crickets ever since.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 pm

BTW, the way I think the distribution works is that British Mail (or whatever national mail emporium is the one local to a given publication) charges X amount per copy it sends out. The publishers, trying to find ways to reduces their costs, shop around to see if there are any alternatives and you get a situation where an offshore company can distribute for Y amount if the publisher sends it in bulk to them (costing them Z amount).
So as long as Y+Z < X then you get this stupidity where stuff get routed around the world along the cheapest path until it gets to the subscriber.

Part of this is probably because of international postage regulations where a nation's postal system is obliged to forward mail from the originating country. If you have ever wondered how shipping from China can be free then that is the (relatively small) cost being sunk internally and the (much higher) destination inland delivery being shouldered by the receiving end. That works fine for China as long as they send >> receive. There has been grumblings about getting changes to the regulations so that the receiving end gets compensated for their internal costs.
(Funky thing: As far as I understand, the US Post is running in blood-red numbers. Because they need to finance pensions 75 years into the future in the span of 10 years... No single institution has ever been burdened with such harsh and silly demands.)

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 pm
(Funky thing: As far as I understand, the US Post is running in blood-red numbers. Because they need to finance pensions 75 years into the future in the span of 10 years... No single institution has ever been burdened with such harsh and silly demands.)
LOL, our postal service here in the states is complete and utter garbage, and for the exact reasons mentioned. Even though the Government doesn't own USPS, they do sanction it, so it's government ran, but not government ran(yeah, complete BS I know). So where a normal business that provides poor service goes out of business, no such thing can happen to USPS. Trump is shouting from the rooftops how USPS is being screwed by Amazon's shipping practices(and should charge more), and Amazon is probably the main reason their still open. Charging more for that censored poor service, means Amazon goes to Fedex, UPS, or just opens their own shipping service in a few years? Which is more than possible.

I'm 46 years old, and I worked there back when I was about 19 or 20, and almost nothing has changed(I was only part time, and only allowed to work 6 months). If anything, it's only gotten worse, and for the reason mentioned. I don't personally have a problem with pensions being protected, but when 90% of that work force sucks, I have a HUGE problem with it. As now everyone is locked in, so no matter what, your covered. There's zero reason for anyone to work harder, faster or smarter as it doesn't effect anyone's job.

Unless your stealing, or just flat out not doing your job correctly, your there for life(and with a fat retirement when done).

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Boulder wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am
Weblaus wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am
Very fair point- it's very quiet after one comment one or two posts in saying what a good idea this topic was!