From the forum issue 178 - Goldeneye

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

skinny

Re: From the forum issue 178 - Goldeneye

Post by skinny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am

I had a Playstation and remember reading a lot about how great Goldeneye was but actually never played it until years later. First a quick game on multiplayer with my brother-in-law which failed miserably as he was one of those folk who knew the game inside out and I'd never played it! Then played the start of it on a N64 emulator on PC and it seemed OK. Probably not that impressed because it was years later and things had moved on in terms of graphics, etc. I think maybe you had to have 'been there' at the time.

I now have a 2nd hand N64 in my loft but don't have a copy of Goldeneye. In all seriousness, should I hunt out a copy and try it?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Coming from a similar background, I'd say no, not unless you find it really cheap. I'd stick with the remake. Neither are exceptional games now, but at least the remake has decent controls and a bit more life to it. I'm sure DPrinny has mentioned in the past when he puts out the N64 game at events, people play for 10 minutes then move on as it isn't as wonderful as their rose tinted memories suggest.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 am

skinny wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am
I had a Playstation and remember reading a lot about how great Goldeneye was but actually never played it until years later. First a quick game on multiplayer with my brother-in-law which failed miserably as he was one of those folk who knew the game inside out and I'd never played it! Then played the start of it on a N64 emulator on PC and it seemed OK. Probably not that impressed because it was years later and things had moved on in terms of graphics, etc. I think maybe you had to have 'been there' at the time.

I now have a 2nd hand N64 in my loft but don't have a copy of Goldeneye. In all seriousness, should I hunt out a copy and try it?
It definitely is - particularly if you are a fan of Bond, then its a very enjoyable game. Its telling, that despite the advances in game play and graphics since then, no other Bond game has been able to even match it, let alone surpass it (I own every single Bond game released since, except for Blood Stone). Obviously there are better games graphically, but none have matched the level design, playability or sheer fun of GoldenEye.

In the single player mode there are some cracking levels, but to really experience it to its fullest, you have to play it through on 00 Agent difficulty level and unlock all the cheats as well - which are achievements that you get for completing a certain level in a set amount of time on a particular skill level.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 am

antsbull wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 am
Its telling, that despite the advances in game play and graphics since then, no other Bond game has been able to even match it, let alone surpass it
I'd disagree strongly with this. Nightfire is easily a match for it, and Everything or Nothing surpasses it, being both original and high quality, like a lost Bond film. Both have aged far better than Goldeneye too, which I think is a game you had to be there for to go back to now, as it's so clunky and barren.

Since you're a fan, I'd strongly recommend picking up Blood Stone. While it doesn't do anything exceptional, it's a solid game, well made, and again offers an original story to play through. That it mixes up play styles a little with shooting and driving segments serves it well, so for the paltry sum it can be picked up for, it's well worth a go.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am

I personally think the single player of GoldenEye holds up extremely well. Yes it's clunky to play now compared to PS2 and Xbox shooters (and anything later for the matter) but the level design is exceptionally good (particularly on the later difficulty levels) and the frame-rate isn't affected in the same way that multiplayer games are.

With regards to the later games I'd agree with Antiriad about Bloodstone as there's a lot of diversity to it. I'm not too keen on Everything Or Nothing but I enjoy Nightfire and Agent Under Fire. Stay away from Rogue Agent though it's absolutely appalling.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Agent Under Fire is ok, but again its dating badly. Even compared to the later games on the same systems (I played the GC versions), Agent Under Fire seems somewhat archaic. The games that immediately followed are quite a leap forward imo.

In a similar vein to Rogue Agent, 007 Legends is pretty flakey. Not on the levels of atrocity of the former, but Legends is clearly a low budget game, seeming at times like it's come from a previous generation of hardware. There is some fun to be had from it, since it covers several of the classic Bond movies and their stars, but the lack of polish does detract.