Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 170

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:24 pm

I will certainly consider my future subscription if the paper quality doesn't improve, I feel that there's too much recycled content and if less and less articles appeal to me :( :(
Considering how long the mag has been running for im not surprised they are running out of new old things to talk about
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:

I will certainly consider my future subscription if the paper quality doesn't improve, I feel that there's too much recycled content and if less and less articles appeal to me :( :(
Considering how long the mag has been running for im not surprised they are running out of new old things to talk about
Agree and I guess they have probably interviewed pretty much everyone who is willing to contribute or are still alive.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:00 pm

What is going on with the quality of materials the magazine is made from recently!??. Probably the last 4-5 issues i have received there has been creases on the front cover which seem to be indented into first few pages and and slight rips on the spine, defo not to the standard the mag was a few years back....i guess it could be down to the paper thin bag packaging there delivered in now, used to be a nice thick plastic A4 envelope :(

EDIT: just read other comments seems im not the only one whos concerned.

Yeah like other on here this issue was another miss for me, just seems to be less and less things i am wanting to read in this mag, been that way for the last 2 years maybe. Could be time to leave the 8 bit micros alone and move on to main streaming the console based systems now!?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Lettuce wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:00 pm
Yeah like other on here this issue was another miss for me, just seems to be less and less things i am wanting to read in this mag, been that way for the last 2 years maybe. Could be time to leave the 8 bit micros alone and move on to main streaming the console based systems now!?
They have been covered before

They cant get to obscure with them as they need a cover console that people remember to bring in passing gazes and content that people that have read for years havent seen before
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:

...Which is a puzzle in all honesty. The one mag that should have continual material should be a Retro mag...it does not rely on a lifespan of a console or computer to keep it going. And as time goes on it gains more material as more goes 'retro.' Which will start the 'what is retro' argument again :lol:

I do personally feel it is perhaps time less effort was concentrated on early eight bit, as much as I love them, have a bit more PS1 to PS2 era. That would create howls of outrage from some probably, as you can't please all the people all the time. But eight bit can still be covered, I just feel it needs to take a bit more of a back seat as what can be covered has been covered, and as many say it's hard to find people to interview, and fresh angles for eight bit. Unless opinion pieces come into it as well.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Its the Dreamcast cut off point,
Some are in favour of the ten years rule

But that does now mean the Wii/360/PS3 are retro

FECK THAT!!

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

FECK THAT!!
Myself, I go for the two gens back as a general rule. In the end, the elitism on this forum can be a bit too much. Retro is not a thing only for the people 40+, or even 30+(I am 31 and played games on my NES and GameBoy already in the late 80s, barely). A publication like Retro Gamer has to cater to both the old guard who loves vintage gaming like Atari 2600, as well and the new guard or 20-somethings that began their gaming journey with the PS2 or thereabouts.

The Kins

Post by The Kins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 am

Hi, is there a reason why this issue hasn't appeared on Zinio yet? If you check the store page, at least from Australia, the latest issue is still 169.

170 appears to be out on the iOS app (or at least, is being advertised as such on the App Store), but I have an active subscription on Zinio and would rather not buy the same issue twice. Any ideas?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 am

Nikolai wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

FECK THAT!!
Myself, I go for the two gens back as a general rule. In the end, the elitism on this forum can be a bit too much. Retro is not a thing only for the people 40+, or even 30+(I am 31 and played games on my NES and GameBoy already in the late 80s, barely). A publication like Retro Gamer has to cater to both the old guard who loves vintage gaming like Atari 2600, as well and the new guard or 20-somethings that began their gaming journey with the PS2 or thereabouts.
I agree, it can only strengthen the reader base, and saves the mag from repetition. I love a good mix from early right through to about two gens previous
:)

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Shame Future are treating Retro Gamer as the step child of it's publications resorting to using the cheapest paper possible. :(

The Kins

Post by The Kins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm

The Kins wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 am
Hi, is there a reason why this issue hasn't appeared on Zinio yet? If you check the store page, at least from Australia, the latest issue is still 169.

170 appears to be out on the iOS app (or at least, is being advertised as such on the App Store), but I have an active subscription on Zinio and would rather not buy the same issue twice. Any ideas?
Just posting to state that this appears to have been fixed.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 am

I agree, it can only strengthen the reader base, and saves the mag from repetition. I love a good mix from early right through to about two gens previous
:)
No use aiming for the newer gamers, most of them get there games stories from Youtube and those annoying Facebook videos that seem to be aimed at ADD types

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

deKay wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 am
Hello! :)

[/quote]

Yeah, this is exactly the same problem people were complaining about a couple of issues back when people were being told to get their eyes tested! :mrgreen: Must be a problem with the plates as you say, Darran...

As for Final Fantasy XII not being retro....we've had this discussion before.

Final Fantasy XII was released 11 years ago. In the very first issue of Retrogamer there was an article on Streetfighter 2....which was released only 12 years before! As early as issue 2, the Saturn starts to get mentioned...which was only released 10 years previously, and in the UK 9 years previously! No one complained about that.

In C&VG magazine in the late 90s, they started covering Megadrive and Super Nintendo game in their Retro section...which at that point were only about 6 or 7 years old! No one really complained then either.

The only reason that can be given for complaining about PS2 games being in the mag, is that they don't fire your nostalgia the same as older machines. But that's your problem...

The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox have become retro. You're getting old. Deal with it.
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am

deadpan666 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am
The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox have become retro. You're getting old. Deal with it.
Ha! Blunt but I love it 😂
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 am

deadpan666 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am
As early as issue 2, the Saturn starts to get mentioned...which was only released 10 years previously, and in the UK 9 years previously! No one complained about that
Altogether now... Oh Yes We Diiiid!

I'm grudgingly accepting PS1/Saturn/N64 as retro now, but its taken another decade.

But Daz has oft said the line for the mag was set at 10 years.